1. Kata_Misashi

Kata_Misashi Active Member

Are beast folk too gimmicky? >.>

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Kata_Misashi, Jan 10, 2016.

So I planned on having the world I created in my story based around the different spieces and culture of beast-folk but... after really think about it... I don't know... How long can that be 'interesting', ya know? I want something that can pull the readers but I don't want to be a one trick pony ya know. ^^;;

2. LemonadeLover

LemonadeLover Member

Not at all. There are many stories I can think of that include "beast folk" or non-human characters which have managed to keep readers entertained and intrigued. You're not going to be a one trick pony, it all depends on how you write it.

Good luck :)

Kata_Misashi likes this.
  3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Don't worry, beast-folks are a staple of fantasy. My fantasy basically consists of humans and beast-folk. The ones I've talked about the most here are my horned-cat people. :D

As one of my horned-cat characters would say: "Make them strong, and they'll serve you well, young cub."

Kata_Misashi and Lifeline like this.
  4. plothog

plothog Contributor Contributor

The problem with one trick ponies is that they only have one trick. It says nothing about the quality of the one trick you do have.

It's possible to construct interesting stories about different species of beast folk.

You will need other story elements like goals for your characters,things that will hinder them from reaching their goals, things they can learn on the way.

While your different races will probably have specific characteristics, try to leave scope for significant variation between individuals or you're characters could come out looking a bit flat.

Kata_Misashi likes this.
  5. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

It can be interesting for as long as you're telling a compelling story. ;)

Beast-people aren't new to fiction, but I'm sure there are lots of ways they have yet to be used to tell good stories.

Now get back to work. ;)

Kata_Misashi likes this.
  6. LostThePlot

LostThePlot Naysmith Contributor

It may sound a bit obvious but beastmen are only gimmicky if you use them as a gimmick. If you're telling stories that work just as well with humans and the beast part doesn't make much odds then I'd say yes, they are just a gimmick. But if they feel unique and have their own culture and bring their own perspective to events then they are being something more interesting and substantial.

Certainly beastmen have been used in plenty of stories but there is definitely creative space to work with.

7. Wolfmaster1234

Wolfmaster1234 Member

Beast film are realitevly common theme in fantasy. I wouldn't say there comic unless you do them wrong. I think of you go over too with the beastial characteristic behaviorly wide they don't they need to act humaly enough for the reader to be able to associate with them.

Kata_Misashi likes this.
  8. NeighborVoid

NeighborVoid Active Member

They're as gimmicky as robot characters.
    If the beastmen are only different from humans by name and appearance, there's no reason for their inclusion.

Kata_Misashi likes this.
  9. Inks

Inks Senior Member

I personally think that "beast folk" are underdeveloped and under-utilized in most settings. Execution is everything, but my personal ideals are ludicrous to most people.

Kata_Misashi likes this.
  10. Illandrius

Illandrius Member

Can you explain what beastfolk are? If you are referring to animal characters, the Chronicles of Narnia, Did a fantastic job. Not gimmicky.

I would agree with what everyone has said thus far. If they have a purpose in your story then I think they are completely necessary and would not be gimmicky. Thinking in terms of different races with different culture and traditions would make for a very interesting story.

Kata_Misashi likes this.
  11. Electralight

Electralight Member

I think it really depends on how you write them. If you spend the whole story just telling people about the different beasts, make them all similar, have a cliché story line, or just have no main plot line, then the story wont be interesting. However, that goes for any story, not just one about beasts. If you genuinely have a unique story line with creatures that aren't human, I think that is amazing. The world can never have to much creativity put into it!

Kata_Misashi likes this.
  12. Kata_Misashi

Kata_Misashi Active Member

Whoo~ a lot of comments ~w~ Thanks for everyones input on the matter.

Basically like my 'icon', but for my story it varies.
    <---------------------

13. NeighborVoid

NeighborVoid Active Member

What instantly comes to mind is a "post-post-apocalyptic” society where all the beastfolk are genetically engineered supersoldiers.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  14. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Senior Member

It really depends on what makes your beasts beastly. If they're walking on two legs and wearing clothes, they're not 100% animals, so what exactly about them makes them more animalistic than you or me? There are some very well-trod answers to that (cat-people play around and sleep all day, wolf-people are instinctively loyal to the pack), but if you go outside those patterns, you should be able to find something new.

15. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Good point. Even though my cat-folk walk on two legs and wear clothes, I have done certain things that I think makes them more bestial. Imagine a pride of lions if they could walk like humans, all the social hierarchy they have, that's what my cat-folks have. It's far different from what my human characters understand and recognize. They also eat their meat raw, squatting on the floor and chowing into it. Would make for an amusing scene. :p

Kata_Misashi likes this.
  16. Illandrius

Illandrius Member

In my own personal opinion I like beast-folk. They can be very interesting in their own right as long as they are unique.

I would agree that if they are the exact same as humans then it is pointless to have them if the only thing they add to your story is a different body shape.

The book I am currently in the planning stages of is a fantasy novel with different races. elves, humans, dwarves, etc... I am still deciding how these races differ from each other. There are the thoughts of how people already think these races should be. I am trying to make it more unique.

17. Illandrius

Illandrius Member

I guess what I am trying to say as long as you are unique you will be good. Just don't make cookie cutter characters (say that 5 times fast). Make it yours.