1. Kata_Misashi

Kata_Misashi Active Member

A mixture of crazy yet smart for the villian.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Kata_Misashi, Sep 16, 2015.

I'm currently going through the second chapter of my story and currently giving some back story to the main antagonist (if you can call him that). His personality is a mixture of just plain silliness yet hiding a calculating mind. Though the first thing that comes to mind is 'The Joker' when writing him out (though I wouldn't say he's a psychopath ^^). I guess my question is... 'Will it Blend?'
    ...I mean... does it go? :p

2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Speaking personally, I'm very tired of the intelligent, well-spoken villain. Very clichéd in my opinion. Actually, it's not so much the intelligence that I find clichéd, but the well-spoken element.

To answer your question, what you describe has worked countless other times, so providing you write the character well enough, I can't imagine why it wouldn't work in your case.

3. Kata_Misashi

Kata_Misashi Active Member

Intelligent? Sure! Well spoken? Definitely Not!
    Kyokyu is basically a smart 'punk'. More prone to name-calling then typical 'dastardly villian' talk.
    Anyway, just wanted to be sure! Thank you. ^^;

OurJud likes this.
  4. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Yes, I edited my post to clarify that it's not so much the intelligence I find clichéd. After all, if you're going to be successful at anything - even villainy - then a degree of intelligence will be required.

Kata_Misashi likes this.
  5. Shattered Shields

Shattered Shields Gratsa!

Think of your character first, not their qualities. You ought never to design your character for a mold. Aside from that tidbit, yes. It should blend. I see no reason it wouldn't. Many geniuses are also a bit nutty.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    Kata_Misashi likes this.
  6. Burnistine

Burnistine Active Member

Sure it does. However, don't get caught up in "explaining" him. Show us what he's doing in different circumstances and give us valid reasons for the switch. You might be tempted to explain the first time he switches, but if you'll simply say "he does this because . . ." and not repeat this explanation, the reader will get it. But be absolutely sure you have a cause and effect. Otherwise, we won't know what the heck is going on.

Kata_Misashi likes this.