1. Tales

Tales New Member

Changing public impression

Discussion in 'Research' started by Tales, May 8, 2009.

Hey just a response from an earlier thread

In a story I am planning, environmentalists are seen as terrorists becos ecoterrorists had done something that killed a lot of people. As far as I researched, it seems that environmentalism and ecoterrorism may have similar roots but each are different in their approach in doing things.

As a result, Earth's environments began to suffer as people think Saving Earth= Killing people. So if the environmentalists[the people who save earth not at expense of human lives.] want to change the public's impression and gain back the trust they used to have, How will they go about it?

2. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Do the same thing Islamic people did back in 2001? Assure them that only a minuscule portion of their members are dangerous extremists and reminding everyone that there are dangerous extremists in every group?

3. Tales

Tales New Member

But what if the people are pretty stubborn?

What messages do the environmentalists need to convey? They have to educate the public on the differences between environmentalist and ecoterror?

4. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

It's impossible educating people on such a scale. An example of something that people simply won't acknowledge, even though it's historical fact, is that Scotland founded the UK. Try telling THAT to people. It goes against their Braveheart-inspired principles.

That's the thing. Popular culture cannot be forced to change its mind.

The only thing that the environmentalists could really try is to become more like ecoterrorists to get their point across, and that just goes right back to the same situation.

5. Tales

Tales New Member

Nice one, Gallowglass. I think if the public opinions are anti-environmentalism. I think it's inevitable that there will be so-called good environmental conservation group that fall prey to the dark side. I think this can be a good concept for some of the characters. Perhaps they were forced to go this way due to lack of funding and their strong passion to save the Earth. Even thought some of them hate ecoterrorists or are against them, they end up before like their enemies.

Thank you.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Actions speak louder than words.

If an environmentalist group prevents a major ecoterrorist act and condemns their actions, it could do a lot to help the public view the ecologists as a separate and respectable organization.