1. Ramblling

Ramblling New Member

BackGround Junkies

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Ramblling, May 11, 2008.

Stuck on a certain part in a story. The MC has just been temporaily put aside, its, say...100 years later after the MC was put aside, and I need three SC that are living on earth {Story involves Heaven, Hell and New Realm-aka earth} Their purpose in the plot is mainly just to be there as the PoV eyes when all hell rains down on earth.

One of the SC's father was friends with the MC when he was a kid. And the other two, no connetion.

Question is, How can I frame it so as they dont steal too much spot light, but are still characters that people can...like? Well, characters not chunks of flesh?

2. MumblingSage

MumblingSage New Member

My heart in on the shores of Gitchee-Gume, my body
    Let them do something that wins the audiance's sympathy. Maybe they try to help others as hell rains down? Maybe they try to protect thier own families? Showing someone as a basic gal/guy, but still trying their best, is a good way to avoid too much spotlight-stealing but still make them sympathetic.

Also try mixing their actions and the descriptions of the story, like:
    'Jake made his way across the bunker to kneel beside the girl. Her bleeding was mostly stopped; his tourniquet had helped. With a sigh of relief, he looked outside. Fire was still drifting down from the sky, though there was little left on the ground to burn.'

So you give equal (or about equal) billing to what they're supposed to be seeing and what they're doing.

3. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Also, make sure to give them interesting personalities. Just don't try too hard.

4. Aurora_Black

Aurora_Black New Member

True, just enough but not to overshadow the MC