Character Development Clinic

Discussion in 'Word games' started by Mallory, Feb 16, 2011.

1. FictionAddict

FictionAddict New Member

I thought of a few questions for Beck.

1. You find yourself in a world where none of your friends are able to get in and you get trapped inside completely alone for a long time. (I don't know the mechanics of your world-travelling, Ion. I'm just imagining a scenario here. I hope it fits your story.)
    a. What would you do to distract yourself?
    b. How would you feel being completely alone, not having anyone to talk to?
    c. Would you do anything to get out of this world and come back to your friends? Is there something you could find there that would make you reconsider leaving?

2. You're interested in a boy (romantically), but you know he only ogles feminine, dressed-in-pink kind of girls. The thought of changing the way you dress and the way you act would ever cross your mind?

3. Do you like to have older friends? Wouldn't you like to be friends with someone your own age, who gets through the same stuff you do, someone you can really relate to? If yes, why do you think you don't have any friends like that?

4. What's your problem with seagulls? (Lame question, I know. I just got curious. Lol )

1 person likes this.
  2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Thanks! Great questions!

I love the scenario ones, and you said you have more? ...

3. Ion

Ion New Member

I'll have something for you later. I have to sleep.

4. FictionAddict

FictionAddict New Member

I'll put a character of mine forward.

Character: Alice Silva Staar, 19 year old, Brazilian, living in Leiden, Holland.

Background: Her mother is Brazilian, her father is Dutch. Her parents met when her father was in Brazil researching diseases (he’s a doctor) for a Holland University. In the year she’s supposed to go to college in Brazil, her father is asked to go back to Holland. All the family moves to Europe, but a few months later she founds out her father was cheating on her mother. She and her siblings – an older sister and a younger brother – want to go back to Brazil, but their mother thinks they’ll get better education and career in Europe. She forces them to stay. Her older sister, who’s 21 goes back to Brazil on her own.

Conflict: Alice sees herself having to deal with two part-time jobs, (she prefers to help her mother with the bills to confronting her father who is careless with helping them financially) college at night, in foreign land, having to deal with foreign language, culture and all. She works in a Blood Bank in the morning and in a café during the lunch time. At night she majors in Art in a traditional college in Leiden, taking classes with natives and foreign people (although there are specific classes for immigrants, she also has regular classes with Dutch people).

Shoot as many questions as you like. Thanks in advance ;)

5. Lazy_Otaku271

Lazy_Otaku271 New Member

Here are some questions for Alice. I would have more, but I didn't want to go overboard, so I chose the most relative ones.

1. If she was offered a sketchy way to get some money for the family, would she take it?
    2. Which kind of classes does she prefer more, her regular classes or her immigrant classes?
    3. Does she ever plan to return to Brazil, like her sister before her?
    4. How does she view her jobs? Are they just a way to make some cash or does she genuinely like them? Also, if she had to have only one job which job would she keep?
    5. If she was offered an opportunity to study abroad would she take it?
    6. How well does she get along with her siblings? Does having her sister so far way put a strain on their relationship? And what about her brother?

Also, here are my answers.
    Feel free to ask anymore more questions. All they can do is help.

1 person likes this.
  6. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

Name: Katelyn "Kate" Patricia Goodman, age 15

Background: A fun loving girl from Duluth Minnesota. Without going too much into the story, see gets to the mountains of Hong Kong, where there's a hidden town/protection force yadda yadda. She is best friends with the main character, and joins the group because he invited her to. She is often loud, and sometimes annoyingly so. Can't pronounce "r"s. (I dunno if that'd be a lisp, or something different.)

Miscellaneous info: Likes talking to friends, meeting new people, playing bass guitar, and listening to music. She always is wearing her headphones behind her ears, when not listening to anything.

Dislikes mean spirited people, abuse, obesity, violins, and milk. (She's lactose intolerant.)

Well there ya go, please ask away mates. I'll try to help where I can on this thread as well.

P.S. She is a side character, I just want to develop her more. The story is actually supposed to be a comic, but I'm trying to organize things before I start anything.

7. Mallory

Kate:

1. Is there anything disturbing or creepy about the town? Something about it that bothers you, or something you suspect might be going on behind closed doors?

2. What if this MC/best friend guy started to hit on you? How would you react?

3. Similarly, what if he took up interest romantically in another girl?

This is just to get started; I'm juggling a few things at the moment so can't think of too many questions; someone else please take it from here so poor Kate isn't stranded with only 3 questions. :)

8. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

Thanks for the questions so far.

9. FictionAddict

FictionAddict New Member

Hey, Lazy_Otaku, go overboard! If you have more questions, Alice wants to answer them :)

Reading your answers made other questions pop in my mind. Maybe they'll help you further.

For Sumiko:

1. What do you fear?
    2. You're in love with this guy. He's funny, caring and protective (not that you need him to be;) ). His life story is something to look up to, people talk about him with great regard and he's popular among all social groups, BUT you find yourself cringing at some of his remarks. You like him, but he's not very clever. What do you do? Ditch or keep dating him?
    3. What do you want most in your life?
    4. Being good at everything can make you feel quite unmotivated. What moves you? What makes you get out of bed everyday?

And here are Alice's answers:

Thanks, Lazy_Otaku for the questions.

If anyone else has more, it'll be really helpful.

10. FictionAddict

FictionAddict New Member

For Alexis:

1. What's your opinnion on drugs?
    2. The group of friends you spend time with decide to vandalize college property. (They're drunk or high after a party. You're just tipsy.) What do you do? You go with them? You say they shouldn't do it, but don't stand in their way? Or do you run to some kind of authority and denounce them?
    3. You're in love and, although you don't want commitment, you find yourself fantasizing about getting married and having children with him. Would you repress the feeling or let yourself go with it?
    4. What kind of people do you want to be around you?

11. FictionAddict

FictionAddict New Member

For Kate:

1. What do you fear?
    2. What kind of music do you like?
    3. If you discovered the MC likes a type of music you're disgusted about, how would this fact change your opinnion of him? Would you make something for him to "see reason" and present him good pieces of music?
    4. Are you aware you're loud and annoying? If so, do you act on changing this about you? If you don't, why not?
    5. You're climbing the mentioned mountain and your iPod slips from your pocket and crashes against the rocks. It's irrecoverable. What would you do? How would you feel? What would you do to get around the situation?(remember you're climbing and there're no stores around)

I hope this helps a bit, Earphone. If you can share a little bit more of the story, maybe I could think about more questions for Kate.

Little uncalled piece of advice: since you're in the first stages of planning your story, maybe it'll be useful to answer the questions with the character's voice. Doing this helps me develop a different voice to each of my characters. I find this helpful, but to each his own.

12. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

I'm actually not in the first stages of the story, I actually have it fairly fleshed out. I just want to get to know my characters a bit more. I'll try the "character's voice" thing, thanks for the advice.

It does help, thanks. Maybe I'll even put some of my other comic characters up here. I'd never even considered what Kate might be afraid of.

13. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

Okay for future reference, the story revolves around a guy named Michael Tesla Bagley, who joins a joins a group of people that protect a portal from creatures called "Faceless". Mike hears about the organization in a letter from his cousin who is a member, and travels to Hong Kong shortly after.

Yeah, only in a comic would a guy fresh outta high school be able to get a secret government job with no previous experience. He just happens to meet the requirements.

14. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I am taking my time with Tim - his first set of questions I have written loads for and needs to trim it lol :)

DI Joseph Cream is a dedicated policeman with a reasonable family background. He lives in a room in the house of two aging aunts. His father's sisters. It suits him they spoil him rotten doing his laundry, cooking his meals etc. He is in his forties and quite happy with life. His job consumes him and he has a handy relationship for sex with a DC. Who could want more ?

15. Manav

Manav New Member

Questions for DI Joseph Cream:

1) What are the other reasons (other than that he doesn't need to do laundry and cooking) he is staying with his aunts. Is there a special reason which he himself might not be conscious of?

2) How did he end up living with the aunts? Did he have a choice?

3) Was he ever married? If no, why? If yes, tell me about his wife/ex-wife and children (if there is any)?

4) Make a list of things that make him happy? Where do living with his aunts, having sex-only relationship, and his job fall in that list?

5) Does he ever stand in front of the mirror and check out his disappearing biceps, possibly his bulging tummy, or receding hairline?

6) Is there a difference in his personality on and off duty?

7) Does he think his uniform as something special or is it just another cloth to wear?

Question for Elg:

What's a DC? :confused:

16. Elgaisma

oh sorry DC is detective constable and DI is detective inspector.

17. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

I guess I should ask:

1. Did I offer a second MC to soon?(is there a time period to wait before submitting again.)

2. Was I not suppose to ask questions of others MC?

or

Did my two posts just get missed?:confused:

Having re-read the OP, I guess I was just missed. :D

It was slow and then alot of people posted.

18. Elgaisma

What number post is it I'll ask you some later ?

19. Mallory

Hi Severin,

No there are no time limits or rules. The more questions you ask of others' MCs, the better. I guess you might've accidentally been missed if there were lots of MCs up for grabs to interview. I'm deeply sorry about that. I'll find your unquestioned MC and think of some questions. :)

20. Elgaisma

If you repost them when you find em I'll put some thought into it as well Mal.

21. Mallory

Is this the character who got neglected? Sorry. Ok, let me get my notebook and pen and recorder out .... ok I'm ready when you are....ok great let's start! :)

1. As an elf *almost* old enough to seek apprenticeship, do you ever feel frustrated about not being quite old enough? Do people ever patronize you, or treat you like a child, or exclude you from things? How does this make you feel?

2. Or, conversely, do you ever feel that too much is being shoved on your shoulders because you're getting older?

3. How do you feel about orcs? How would you react if you met them - how would the encounter most likely go?

4. What would happen if you were together with the other elf who imprisoned you, and the two of you ran into orcs? (or some threatening type of creature)

5. As far as what your altered memory allows for and what you are currently aware of, what was the worst part of being kidnapped, held in a box and forcibly trained?

22. FictionAddict

FictionAddict New Member

I think the posts are really getting lost in here.

Mallory, I've posted a few questions for Alexis. It's on page 11.

Lazy_Otaku271, I've posted questions for Sumiko on page 11 as well.

Sorry, SeverinR, I didn't see your character didn't have been asked questions yet. I'll think of a few an come back later.

23. Mallory

Fiction Addict,

Ooooh, thank you! I just found the new questions for my character. Sorry I missed them before but I'm happy to have them!!

Okay here are the answers:

For Alexis:

1. What's your opinnion on drugs?

The federal war against drugs is stupid. It's wrong to put someone in jail, harrass them and ruin their future because they choose to ingest something in their body or give a substance to a willing buyer. However, I personally wouldn't choose to do drugs simply because I care about my grades too much; plus I'd be scared of getting in a bad situation with the cops.

2. The group of friends you spend time with decide to vandalize college property. (They're drunk or high after a party. You're just tipsy.) What do you do? You go with them? You say they shouldn't do it, but don't stand in their way? Or do you run to some kind of authority and denounce them?

I would never tattle. Tattling is for losers. Plus, I'd be thrilled that I'm included in something like this because I don't really have close friends; people who I hang out with just see me as an aquaintance on the fringe of their group, not really included. I'd probably join in because I'd be included -- plus it'd be kinda fun. However, if I heard sirens or something I'd run and hide in the bushes. I'd leave at the first sign of problems.

3. You're in love and, although you don't want commitment, you find yourself fantasizing about getting married and having children with him. Would you repress the feeling or let yourself go with it?

If I were in love I'd go with it, but I'm not the type who'd fantasize about having children. But I'd go with my feelings if I cared about the person. I'd probably sleep with him too, but I'm a worrywort and would use at least two forms of protection.

4. What kind of people do you want to be around you?

People who are fun and like me. I'm in the middle between the party crowd and the introvert crowd; I like to go to parties and drink sometimes, but I also can have just as much fun doing something else. So I don't want to hang out with someone who's a hardcore prude about things, but also not someone who makes me feel like a loser if I don't have a party to go to every single weekend though. Really though, I just want to have some good friends who welcome me and see me as part of their group, because that's what I'm lacking right now. As far as guys, the guy has to respect my independence and career goals; I'm not going to date someone who expects me to drop everything for him, check first before making plans with my friends etc.

Thanks for the questions for my character. :)

24. FictionAddict

FictionAddict New Member

Let me post this before the paper I wrote these questions gets lost...

For Kate:

1. If Mike eventually thinks you're not necessary in the mission anymore and tells you to go home, would you accept be discarded?
    2. Mike is in danger, the Faceless got him locked up in some unknown place and the portal is unprotected. What do you do? Protect the portal or go looking for Mike?
    3. Mike is set to go on a mission in India, where cows are considered sacred and walk everywhere freely. Would you go with him?
    4. What are your biggest pet peeves?
    5. What's in other people's behavior towards you that irks you the most?

Glad I've helped to shed a light into the personality of Kate with the previous questions. I loved her way of speaking, btw.

This ^ made me crack up. Best sentence eva! LOL

25. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

Yeah thanks, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed her speech. Hehe. If anyone wants some questions, I'd be happy to ask some.