1. Nick1Nintendo

Nick1Nintendo New Member

Main and Impact Characters as groups?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Nick1Nintendo, May 22, 2010.

Hey guys. I'm trying to map out a novel idea...in a nutshell, as needed to help with this question, it's about four nations. Nation #1 and Nation #2 are at war. Now, I plan to tell the story through many different characters in 3rd person. Most of them will be from #1. What I'm trying to decide is, should #1 be the "main character" and #2 be the "impact character"? Neither are really bad; for the story, #2 will be the antagonist, but their only real problem is different points of view.

Thanks for any help with this. I hope I explained it in a way that made sense.

2. hyperspace!

hyperspace! New Member

It might help to kind of balance it out a little - have a character from each nation be kind of the main characters, and have the others be "impact" characters. It'll help show both sides a little better.

Though, I'm not totally sure what you mean by "impact" character. You mean like secondary-characters?

3. Nick1Nintendo

Nick1Nintendo New Member

That could work, yeah.

"Impact Character" is a term I heard (not sure where) that's used to describe whoever opposes the Main Character's methods. Like, if the Main Character prefers to act right away when presented with a problem, the Impact Character would rather wait and watch before doing anything.