1. briah

briah New Member

Character development

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by briah, Jun 3, 2020.

ok so I'm writing about a female POC character and I'm just wondering how best to write them (they are my MC) I mean just any advice in general but I do want to ask how best to write/describe their hair, the fan cast I'm using is leomie Anderson and she has straight hair and so does my POC character but does she have to get a weave or is it just straightened? I mean no offence.

2. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

You could start by trying to write them as a normal human being with goals, motives, and conflicts... I mean there's a start.

deadrats likes this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

What's that?

4. DK3654

DK3654 Almost a Productive Member of Society Contributor

Person Of Colour

As for the OP's question, this website has a bunch of advice specifically about all the relevant issues you might face when dealing with POC in fiction.
    And you can search for 'hair' specifically to find some advice on that front: https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=002172904755699768634:ff6xd1wneoq

5. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

POC is an incredibly vague designation. Really we would need something more specific to be able to help you.

6. briah

briah New Member

thanks it is helpful

7. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Character development has very little to do with appearance. To successfully create any good character, you have to dig deep to help them come alive. A POC is a person first and foremost. Try to think about how this character views the world (no matter how big or small that world is) and what sort of things affect them in different ways. I truly hope your character has more on her mind than getting her hair done.

I wrote a story with no white characters. I never described physical appearances in a way that put an exclamation point after it or screamed this character is a minority, and I suggest staying away from writing anything that does.