1. QueenSpaz

QueenSpaz New Member

Character Emotion Help?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by QueenSpaz, Jan 29, 2013.

I really really hope I'm in the right spot to post this. If not, my apologies.

So I'm about 25k words into my very first story. I'm stuck on something and would like to get some different takes on this. Basic idea:

Boy likes Girl A and Girl B. Boy spends more time with Girl A than Girl B. Circumstances lead to Boy getting Girl A. Boy sees Girl B again and feels the exact same pull as he does to Girl A.

Other than being slightly confused as to why Boy would feel as drawn to Girl B as he does to Girl A, what would he be feeling. How would he handle these feelings?

It really made sense in my head, so if I just caused you a migraine, I'm sorry! Thank you for any input however!

Peace and Love :love:

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

You're kind of asking us for the whole story here, Queen. What you have is a very basic premise. Romances especially need to be character-driven. Develop your characters to see what attracts them to each other. Anything any of us would suggest would only be our own personal take on what attracts us to someone. That wouldn't do you any good. You need to figure out what your characters would think and feel.

3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

What Liz said.

You might want to try using character arcs - chart out your characters' traits and how they change over the course of the story.

What you're really saying here is that you really haven't yet figured out the story. So, go do that. Making an outline may also help.

Good luck.

4. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

Isn't the question just "what would a X torn between two Ys" be feeling?

Confused is fair enough. Guilty, if they're conscientious. Titillated, if they're risk-takers. Self-deprecating, if they're virtuous.

What you're talking about is a guy being tempted to cheat on his girlfriend with another girl he used to like and just discovered he still likes. There are numerous stories exploring exactly how that situation plays out, but if you want to get to grips with the emotions of the character "stuck in the middle", remember that trust, betrayal, loyalty and selfishness are the key pillars of this kind of story.

5. Bimber

Bimber New Member

Are you maybe asking us on tips how to date two people? :D

Well might best be just that, talk to people who had something similar and see from there view, do some research it always helps lots of useful stuff can be found on the net about everything, you might get some inspiration from all of it as well gain some new experience.

From my own experience it can happen sometimes, one person makes you feel good, the other one is just so much fun to be with, also people are greedy in everything even in hunger for more emotion, once fooled around with four women at the same time (was young and crazy) each had something different and they knew it was'nt going anywhere and i even believe they knew about each other (as i learned later women do talk a lot to each other about everything), at the end i payed the heavy price and learned my lesson.

How it made me feel? well like everything new in life it feels exciting and thrilling, after that passes its just a massive headache, as it is hard to handle one person at a time not to mention more.

If you interested PM me and can tell you more