Tags:
  1. mikeymike20

mikeymike20 New Member

Character name needed

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by mikeymike20, May 13, 2009.

I am currently working on a novel derived from a number short stories I have written since I was 13.

However, being so young at the time, my main villain had a very weak name; The Butcher.

He was a Russian infant, made parentless during World War 2. Living on the rough streets of St Petersburg, he grew into an equally rough teenager, taken in by a secret sect of KGB and trained as a killer, becoming their most reliable hitman.

As he has no parents, no-one knows his real name and so i need a simple title for him.

Ideas?

2. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

Have you researched names in russia, common names?

3. mikeymike20

mikeymike20 New Member

yes but i don't particularly need a typical name, more a title.

For example, in Xmen you have people such as Wolverine, Phoenix and Omega Red. They are not their names as such...they are names they gave themselves.

I need a title that somes him up perfectly without him even being in the scene and with the least explanation needed.

4. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

You can decide which. i don't really know with out understanding the story.

5. mikeymike20

mikeymike20 New Member

basically his parents are murdered when hes a baby....so he has no name.

brought up by the KGB to be a killer...kills thousands of British and American spies throughout the Cold War.

It needs to be along the lines of such characters as Jaws from the James Bond films.

Its got to provoke a sense of danger, like he's the last guy you would ever want to face-off against.

And i cant really make it too communist because he vanishes near the end of the Cold War, returning as the hero's main target.

6. Nightsong

Nightsong New Member

I would suggest thinking of objects, items, etc. that seem formidable. Something that will fit the character, but that is not cliche. Changing the spellings of words creates a unique effect as well. For instance, one of the characters for a story I'm writing is named Krypt. (Which is Crypt with a K.)

7. mikeymike20

mikeymike20 New Member

also forgot to mention.....on his 1st assignment he is sent to kill a British agent (later turns out to b the heroes father). He fails but is left blinded and scarred after the British agent shoots through his sniper scope

8. seije

seije New Member

"In Slavic mythology, the word zmey or Змей and its cognates zmiy, zmaj, zmej and żmij are used to describe a dragon. Most of these words are masculine forms of the Slavic word for "snake", which is normally feminine (like Russian zmeya)."
    -taken from wikipedia.

I like the idea of a snake or serpent being his self-proclaimed title, as they are violent, usually seen in the negative, and as he has been blinded, it fits with the idea that snakes go more by smell than sight.

9. mikeymike20

mikeymike20 New Member

hmm i like that idea

also....with most snakes, they move silently an you don't kow they are there until they strike.

may use that

thanks mate

10. architectus

architectus Banned

What is he good at? Is he a really good sniper? How does he usually kill? What is he most feared for? Answering these questions can help you come up with a title.

11. BlackBear

BlackBear New Member

Red Skull. Oh, wait, that's already been taken. How about... Kraken. I believe that the Kraken appears often in Russian Mythology. Or maybe it was Norse...

12. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

How about...Lolita.

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The local newshounds have dubbed him The Barber, because forensic evidence indicates a straight razor is his weapon of choice.

14. Phifty2

Phifty2 New Member

I like The Butcher as a nickname. It was actually a name I used in a story about a vigilante. As far as a proper name.......Emil Surkovich.

15. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

heres some villian names i found on the net, there not russian but maybe you could modify them, i dont know if this will be any help if not, just forget i even mentioned them

UNISEX:

AERON: Welsh unisex form of Celtic Agrona, the name a goddess of war and death who was portrayed as a masculine figure in Welsh mythology, meaning "carnage, slaughter."

ÆGLÆCA: Variant spelling of Anglo-Saxon unisex Aglæca, meaning both "demon, monster, fiend," and "hero, warrior."

AGLÆCA: An Old English dictionary defines áglǽca as follows: "wretch, miscreant, monster, demon, fierce enemy, fierce combatant, miserable being." In the Anglo-Saxon epic Beowulf, Grendel, Grendel's mother and Beowulf are all three referred to by this name for each is a "fierce combatant."

MALE:
    1. ACHAN: Anglicized form of Hebrew Akan, meaning "one who troubles." In the bible, this is the name of an Israelite who stole forbidden items during the assault on Jericho, for which he was stoned to death.
    2. ACHAR (עָכָר): Anglicized form of Hebrew Akar, meaning "one who troubles." In the bible, this is the name of an Israelite who stole forbidden items during the assault on Jericho, for which he was stoned to death.
    3. AGRO: From a Celtic word meaning "battle; slaughter."
    4. AKAN (עָכָן): Hebrew name meaning "one who troubles." In the bible, this is the name of an Israelite who stole forbidden items during the assault on Jericho, for which he was stoned to death.
    5. AKAR (עָכָר): Variant form of Hebrew Akan, meaning "one who troubles." In the bible, this is the name of an Israelite who stole forbidden items during the assault on Jericho, for which he was stoned to death.
    6. APPIUS: Latin Praenomen of several Romans, including Appius Claudius Sabinus Inregillensis, the founder of the clan of Claudia. He was born Attius Clausus, and became consul of Rome in 495 BCE. According to Livy, in his History of Rome, Appius was "harsh by nature," having an "innate love of tyranny." The clan name Appius/Attius may be related to the name of the eunuch god Attis, meaning "Papa."
    7. ARISTODEMOS (Άριστόδημος): Greek name composed of the elements aristos "best, excellent" and demos "the people," hence "best of the people." This was the name of a ruthless tyrant who ruled Elis for six months, exterminating all opposition and stealing their properties. He was finally assassinated; the Eleans erected a statue at Olympia to Kylon, the man who killed him.
    8. BRENT: English surname transferred to forename use having several possible origins including: from an Old English byname for a criminal who had been "branded." For example, the surname Brendcheke "burned cheek" came from such a byname. Compare with other possible origins of Brent.
    9. BUSIRIS: Egyptian name of a king who killed visitors to his city, meaning "temple of Osiris."
    10. DAMIAN: English name derived from Latin Damianus, meaning "to tame, to subdue" and euphemistically "to kill."
    11. DAMIÁN: Spanish form of Latin Damianus, meaning "to tame, to subdue" and euphemistically "to kill."
    12. DAMIÃNO: Portuguese form of Latin Damianus, meaning "to tame, to subdue" and euphemistically "to kill."
    13. DAMIANO: Italian form of Latin Damianus, meaning "to tame, to subdue" and euphemistically "to kill."
    14. DAMIANOS (Δαμιανός): Greek named derived from the element daman, meaning "to tame, to subdue" and euphemistically "to kill." Related to Damon.
    15. DAMIANUS: Latin form of Greek Damianos, meaning "to tame, to subdue" and euphemistically "to kill."
    16. DAMIEN: French form of Latin Damianus, meaning "to tame, to subdue" and euphemistically "to kill."
    17. DAMIJAN: Slovene form of Greek Damianos, meaning "to tame, to subdue" and euphemistically "to kill."
    18. DAMION: Variant spelling of English Damian, meaning "to tame, to subdue" and euphemistically "to kill."
    19. DAMJAN: Variant spelling of Slovene Damijan, meaning "to tame, to subdue" and euphemistically "to kill."
    20. DAMON (Δάμων): Greek name derived from the word daman, meaning "to tame, to subdue" and euphemistically "to kill." In Greek legend, this is the name of a friend of Pythias.

16. mikeymike20

mikeymike20 New Member

he tends to snipe them to demobilise them and then slices out one of their eyes....just like he lost one. Kind of a calling card

17. Scuba

Scuba New Member

why not simply use the russian word for Butcher or a spin off of it? Doing so keeps a rather russian sound, while allowing you to be creative.

мясник

it sounds like misneek to me. So maybe Misnek (Me s neck), Misneke (Me s neek), Misenek (My s neck), ETC could be his name

http://translation2.paralink.com/
    and
    http://text-to-speech.imtranslator.net/speech.asp

play with em.

However, just from my toying with a simple sentence in a few languages, it seems to only be able to translate words not sentences, and the voice is robotic (but it gets the sounds across nicely)

18. Atari

Atari Active Member

His name could be Amorus.

And that would explain why he became a butcher. *Titters and saliva from my tightly pressed lips sprays out* Oh, oh gosh, I'm sorry. *Giggle, snicker*

19. Life705

Life705 New Member

I'm sure there are villain name generators on google that could be of use? I liked the character development used here, nice touch with the KGB coming into things.

20. shadowblaze83

shadowblaze83 New Member

How about the guillotine? i know its not German, however i think the term is well know throughout the world. It is deadly and has way more implications than the butcher. I mean a mercenary/military guy who chops off the heads of his victims, that is SICK!Enemies will regret the day they encountered the guillotine. The last thing they see is their own body and his upside down silhouette as their heads roll off of their shoulders and the last bit of oxygen in their brain runs out, finally fading their existence to a meaningless end. You better take it before i use it as one of my villains in my superhero novel. lol.

21. Anir

Anir New Member

In a place where the forces of space and time have
    Why not something to do with the fact that he slices out their eyes? I don't know any Russian or German or anything, but if that sounds good maybe its a possibility?

22. Hindumaliman

Hindumaliman New Member

Ivan the Hairyball