1. tajo

tajo New Member

Character name similar to Game Of Thrones character.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by tajo, Feb 22, 2017.

Hello, new to the forum, I used to for a brief period of time meet up with a writers group at my local library, and I kind of miss that.

I am writing a novel, and I am having problems with various things. The latest thing that has bothered me is that it has come to my attention that a name of a character in my story is very similar to a Game Of Thrones character, and I did not do this on purpose, as I do not watch, or read Game Of Thrones.

My antagonist's name is Sierce ( Rhymes with Fierce) and it sounds very similar, although spelled very differently to Cersei from GOT. (Pronounced Seercy)

Should I be worried here? I mean it's similar if someone made a character called Gandoof, or Merlim or something. I don't want to be accused of copying the name. Perhaps it is a good thing? Perhaps no one will notice? Am I just being paranoid? I don't know ;_;

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I think you're just being paranoid. But await other votes.

3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Nah, you're fine so long as the characters aren't too similar. Sierce isn't a queen or anything is she/he?

4. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

I'll second the "just being paranoid" response. As long as the actual character herself isn't similar in personality and deeds, nobody will care about name similarities. Besides, Cersei sounds the same as Circe (the witch from the Odyssey), and I don't see people saying "Martin ripped off Homer".

5. tajo

tajo New Member

Nah, he's a male antagonist that gets magical runes, and tricks an army into going to war, all while hiding a big secret from them which could change the entire realm.
    I hope Cersey from GOT didn't do anything like that did she?

6. ajaye

ajaye Senior Member

I don't see any problem at all. The spelling is very different, and I was able to pronounce only yours correctly from spelling alone.

7. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

I, too, see no issue. To me, both the spelling and the pronunciation are different enough even if the characters were similar. In case it matters, I'll mention that I also don't read or watch GOT, but if I did, it still wouldn't be an issue.