1. Adam Bolander

Adam Bolander Senior Member

Character name: too on the nose?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Adam Bolander, Jan 24, 2021.

I had the idea to make one of my villain's name a homage to HP Lovecraft, and I want to use either Alexander Zacharias Thoth or Azriel Thoth (referencing Lovecraft's monster Azathoth). But part of me thinks that's too obvious, like naming your villain "S.A. Tan" or something. What do you guys think?

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I think you should be ok. I'm not familiar with
    Lovevratian names.

:superidea:

3. alw86

alw86 Active Member

Honestly as someone familiar with Lovecraft I wouldn't immediately have made the connection if the text was unrelated, or if I did I wouldn't have been convinced it was on purpose. It's not like you're calling him C T Hulu.

4. Lazaares

Lazaares Contributor Contributor

Depends on the setting but the last name "Thoth" may be a bit on the nose. Not due to the Lovecraftian reference, but the Egyptian god.

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

My first thought is of the Egyptian god Thoth as Lazaares mentions, above. Although I read Lovecraft and am familiar with Azathoth, seeing 'Thoth" by itself makes me think of Egyptian mythology before Lovecraft.

6. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Call him H. Tohtaza... (like all of those villains called "Alucard", as if no one would ever figure that one out).

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  7. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

What the hell are talking about-...

. . .

AF0JMk.jpg

*Note to reader: I actually had no idea Alucard was Dracula spelled backwards. My reaction is only partially a joke; most of it is genuine. Thank you*

8. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

good meme

EFMingo likes this.
  9. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

I'm not familiar enough with Lovecraft to have gotten that-- I also thought about the Egyptian God Thoth.

A question though-- are you writing in a genre where you'd expect familiarity with Lovecraft?

10. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I'd feel it was a bit on the nose. I'm not a fan of foreshadowing (or whatever) in names, strikes of either predestination (if it was given at birth in the story) or pretension (if the character changed his name to "Dr. Evil Malevolent Nastynasty" before beginning his reign of terror.) That's not to say that it doesn't happen in the real world; taking for instance a certain recent political figure whose name implied victory and power, but most often names become associated with certain ideas because of what the person who bears them did. It can work in YA like what JK Rowling did, but for adult fiction I'd find the reference rather heavy.

jannert and Kehlida like this.
  11. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Having some familiarity with your style, @Adam Bolander , I'd say your name choice might work quite well, if it's set in the Henry Rider universe—or a similar one. Everything seems a bit exaggerated there, and usually done for humorous purposes ...with a serious undertone. I'd say try it and see how it works. Nothing is easier to change during an edit than a name.

It would be especially effective if the 'villain' is obviously a villain from the start, and not presented to the reader as a nice guy. But is this name a signal to readers only (who might be familiar with Lovecraft?) Or is it in a setting where the character himself will be aware of Lovecraft? In other words, would any of the characters have read Lovecraft?

I hope this is a sequel to Henry Rider, Clown Hunter. I totally enjoyed reading that story (I've read it twice) and look forward to further adventures.

12. Kehlida

Kehlida Member

Currently Reading::
    The Shining / Carrie by Stephen King
    I agree with Iain on this one, I personally would not put much thought into the name, but it is clear foreshadowing for anyone familiar with the genre. Unless he had people in his life who somehow knew he was part of a prophecy, or it was his destiny, I doubt he'd end up with such a coincidental name. Not to say it's a bad name, I actually like the idea of Alexander Zacharias.