1. lonelystar

lonelystar Active Member

cHARACTER NAMES

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by lonelystar, Jan 14, 2018.

I've named my key group of characters and have got more than one person whose name starts with the same letter, I know not a big deal in real life/families. If the names don't sound similar, especially in the same scene does it really matter?

2. Dracon

Dracon Contributor Contributor

If they don't sound the same or look similar on the page (e.g., many of the other letters are similar) then I don't think it's a problem, no.

Cadavar likes this.
  3. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

I have four females in my WIP whose names start with A. I haven't ran into any problems. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

There's a thread back here where this was discussed that you may find helpful.

People fall into different camps about it. For some the first letter does matter a lot and having, say, an Ashley and an Amanda could be a problem. But if you called the first one Ash, it's less of a problem because then they're different lengths. Rhyming names or just ones with similar phonemes trip some people up and not others.

Overall I think it's best to err on the side of caution. If it's going to be a real issue for some people, to me it's not a big deal to change things up. other folks get really attached to their character names and stick to their guns over it.

What specific names have you got? You could get a general consensus from the people who look at this thread, anyway.

BayView likes this.
  5. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I think it can be an issue. Probably better to rename one of your characters so there's no chance of an issue.

6. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I doubt I'd notice in a book any more than I would in real life.

7. lonelystar

lonelystar Active Member

Thanks for the response s.
    The names I have are Kevin, Kate, Jessica, Jacob, Jake, Melissa and Matt. We never meet Kate, Kevin and Jake are only in the beginning third of the story and Jessica is a supporting actor in one chapter only.
    I belong more to the thinking of that's their name and it stays but I don't want to confuse readers. Does anyone think there is a problem with these names?

8. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

Jake derives from Jacob. It can also be a nickname. That might be an issue. Other than that I think you’re fine in my opinion.

DITF Ninja likes this.
  9. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Yeah, I can see Jake and Jacob being a bit of an issue as well. You ought to be able to make it clear that they're not the same person, but since one disappears earlyish on, I could see a reader getting a bit confused over "Wait, was that Jake who did that, or am I thinking of Jacob?"

So maybe change one of those. Otherwise I think you're good.

10. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I don't know, names mess me up in real life all the time. We have like 9 or 10 women at work whose names all begin with a C or a K and end in Y or an ie. And they're all blond. And they all wear the same uniform. Needless to say, I screw them up all the time.