1. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

Being drunk

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by DefinitelyMaybe, Oct 5, 2012.

Can someone please describe to me what it feels to be drunk? Properly drunk, sometimes known in the UK as "blotto".

I need this to help me understand what a character might be feeling at various times.

2. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

It's been a very long time since I was drunk, and I've only managed the feat a few times in my life. Usually I just used to drink in my student days until I got to the 'happy' stage, which is generally early on. A few beers for me. However the one time I can remember being truly blotto as you put it, was when somewhere along the way I found whiskey. (An evil drink!). And what I remember of that night was at some stage being happy, and then not a hell of a lot until it was three or four in the morning, the sleet was pelting down, and I was lying shirtless on the back yard of my student flat, projectile vomiting, followed by dry wretching, into the grass. At the time the fire in my guts was so bad I thought I was dying.

It was not something I have ever wanted to repeat.

Cheers, Greg.

3. reviloennik

reviloennik New Member

I got so drunk once that on my walk back home I had to basically sit down on the pavement because my vision disappeared. I was only aware of the sounds around me. Then some kind stranger helped me to get back on my feet and walked me home. All the way my vision wasn't much improved and I don't recall the stranger at all. I do recall throwing up afterwards and spending the night by the toilet, everything spinning around me and me waiting for things to feel better and the dawn to come. Lucky me, I never suffer from hangovers, not even on that occasion.

4. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

ok, been snickered a lot but im guessing blotto is a whole step further down the scale. one this i always note is how your sense of time changes. it can go from midnight to closing time suddenly. also everything takes longer but does not feel like it ( i am a religious watch wearer). you are also quite numb to what is happaning, rain, sleet, person that keeps stabbing you whit a pen to get your attention. no big deal. Being international James Bond i was going to suggest we go get or make Vespa's if you are in NYC and old enough.

5. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

Being drunk as many stages and it can go a bit like this; there's the relaxed stage - one drink at the end of the day, then there's the slightly merry stage-you feel happy for no apparent reason, the next stage is probably when you begin to slur your words and wobble a little when you walk. A few more drinks and you start to get emotional; dragging up woes from your past or present or want to take on the world in a fight, this is also the stage your co-ordination goes were even the simplest activity has you in a muddle - like trying to put your coat on is a good one (trying to put your arms into sleeves) And if you're dum even to continue drinking, the alcohol might making your head spin, or worse, your stomach and you might be sick. If you drink beyond this you'll probably going to black out eventually - falling asleep somewhere embarrassing or be taken over by the maniac that lives within - he/she has been waiting for this moment to get you into trouble - I had a friends who got so drunk that she woke up in the cells (police cell) and had no idea why she was there.

6. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

When I was 17, I started New Years Eve at my cousin's house drinking screwdrivers (vodka and orange juice). But he soon ran out of vodka (I'd only had a couple at that point) so I switched to gin. Had a couple of those, and then we went to a bar. I somehow knew that switching back to vodka at that point would be bad (never mix, never worry), and I didn't want to order gin and orange juice (not cool enough) so I ordered a Tom Collins. They were serving them in beer mugs. I don't remember how many I had. I also don't remember who drove me home that night, I only know that someone did, it was someone I didn't know, and it was in a raging snowstorm that had blown up. In our house, everything was on the first floor except my room, which was in the finished attic. I got upstairs before my grandmother could intercept me, and once there, I knew I couldn't make it back down again. But then I knew I was going to be sick, and the only course was...out the window. The next thing I knew, it was the next morning, I was lying on my bed right next to the window, I had rowlfed (as we used to say) all over myself and there was snow blowing in the open window.

I've never touched either vodka or gin since.

A word about hangovers (and that morning was my first and last): first you're afraid you're going to die, then you're afraid you're NOT going to die.

7. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

One of my friends upon turning 21 decided to mix a solo cup full of Petrone, Jack Daniels, Vodka, and I think he said Rum... (not sure on the exact mixture) anyway, he remembers nothing but there is videotape of him running around the neighborhood trying to lift houses with full confidence that he is strong enough to do it, screaming the whole time.

8. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

One passes through several stages

1) Unlock himself. Becames more sociable and talkative
    2) Happy phase. Everything will make you laugh, you'll do stupid things.
    3) Sad phase. You'll start reminding problems on your life and will became sad, and even crying, yet you'll rarely will keep things to yourself, is not weird if you scream.
    4) Anger/violent phase. You get angry and even hit people
    5) Turn off the TV. From this one, you don't remember anything.

9. Ashrynn

Ashrynn Active Member

It depends on how drunk you get and the type of person you are.

Hrmm...Then a few more drinks and I'm so drunk I can even hear myself slurring and having trouble walking.

When I turned 21 I tore through shots of Tequila and Long Islands all night without throwing up or blacking out. It was Halloween in SF and I kept flirting with girls in their costumes on the street while we were bar hopping(which is very hard for me to imagine doing). At around midnight we were going to head out, but I stole my cousins keys so she couldn't leave and ran off. Then I tried my hardest to stand still as I went into another bar(which is very hard thing to do). I made out with someone else, but then my cousins found me and I kept trying to get her to go with us. Then I had more to drink at this club and I think I danced with someone and wound up being this girl's date to an underground rave in SF around 3 AM until around 5~6 where I woke up on the other end of SF with someone else.

During this entire time I was sending texts to my ex and a few friends also.

~ I realizes I'm a total slut when I get plastered and I do really crazy things ~

That said I didn't throw-up or black-out.

10. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

Thanks for all the information. It's certainly different from how I imagined it. I don't think I've ever been more than just tipsy myself.

11. Encore

Encore New Member

Since you have already had a lot of answers about what it feels like to be blotto, I would like to add something a little different that might be useful. I believe that different types of alcohol can affect how people act when intoxicated, for example if I drink Rum I turn into a bitch, if i drink Vodka I am happy, if i drink Tequila I get violent! So on the rare occasions I drink alcohol these days I stick to Vodka! There is actually an episode of How I Met Your Mother where Lilly and Robyn are trying to get Barney and Marshall to makeup and they feed them drinks depending on how they act when drinking that particular drink.

12. Rose Hunt

Rose Hunt Member

Encore is right. I know people that drink beer all day every day and they are, well, theirselves. But give them whiskey, and they are mean sun of a guns. I know a girl who drinks any of it though and gets the exact same way every time. I wonder if some people don't think they should act a certain way and therefore do. You know, like you give someone non-alchoholic beer and they act drunk?

13. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

When you're proper drunk walking is always a bit more difficult. Depending on the severity you might run into a few walls. I once tripped over a bike rack and slashed my leg open. Didn't really feel it until the next day. When the room starts spinning the night is over. Just lay down and hold on. Run to the bathroom and once you see that toilet the flood gates open. You'll say things like "Never again!!!!!!!!" You always come back...but you might switch spirits :)

You also become far more confident. Although it might be more like you stop caring what people think.