1. Arcadeus

Arcadeus Senior Member

Character/Setting Improv Writing.

Discussion in 'Writing Prompts' started by Arcadeus, Feb 23, 2017.

(Just had this idea, so it may fail. However... it sounded fun.)
    Time for a show.

Your first 2 posters are the audience, and the 3rd poster is the actor.

First poster gives a character using two sentences or less.

Second poster gives a setting using two sentences or less.

Third poster writes a scene with that character in that setting.

I'll start us out.

Character: An old man who is covered in dirty rags and talks to inanimate objects.

(Next poster is "Setting:")

2. aguywhotypes

aguywhotypes Active Member

Setting

San Diego zoo.

Arcadeus likes this.
  3. destinyrunner

destinyrunner New Member

He sat there, day after day. Many passers by deemed him a transient, a crazy old man. They were not wrong.

Right outside the giraffe's entrapment, Jared would wait in anticipation. He knew the workers well and would often wait for his daily rations with a toothless grin. As people came and went, many would note the elderly gentleman talking to the trash can or having a deep conversation with the lamp post. He was always dismissed.

Some people judged the old man harshly. Many decided that the police should be informed that this man was loitering in a public place. Some days they would drag him away, but he always came back.

Others pitied the old man. They would bring him trinkets and offer him food, as if he, too, were one of the animals in the zoo. Certainly not on their level, they too judged him.

Only one person in many years had given Jared more than just a wink and a nod, a little girl named Floria. She often frequented the zoo alone as her mother and father worked many hours. She loved the animals and the workers, but she truly visited the zoo to spend time with Jared who always told the best stories of adventure and intrigue, of talking trash cans and funny lamp posts.

Some Guy and Arcadeus like this.
  4. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Senior Member

A beautiful young woman. . . who is not what she seems.

Arcadeus likes this.
  5. destinyrunner

destinyrunner New Member

Setting

An old opera house

Arcadeus likes this.
  6. dragonflare137

dragonflare137 Member

If I had known beforehand, I wouldn't have said yes.

It's started in the old downtown opera house. I had no interest in the show, but a friend convinced be to go anyway. If only he had told me that our seats were separated before we arrived at the opera house. Maybe then I wouldn't have gotten into this mess.

It was when I got to my seat that I saw her. A young women about my age. She was undoubtedly beautiful, but there was something off about her. Maybe it was the way get eyes shifted from one person to the next, or maybe it was the glint in her eye. That devious glint like she was up to no good. If only I wasn't so stricken by her looks.

When I sat down she struck a conversation with me. She talked about how little she wanted to be here, and our mutual disinterest kept us talking. Even after the opera had started, she continued to string me along in her web.

When it had ended, she told me to come along with her, walk her home since she was scared to travel at night alone. I only obliged because I was angry with my friend. Or maybe it was my sympathy for a young woman that made me vulnerable.

And vulnerable I was when she led me down an alley that she claimed led to get home. Vulnerable I was when a few of her friends jumped from the shadows and took everything I owned, including the clothes on my back.

Vulnerable I am as I sit here in a cold dark alley, shivering in the night all alone. With no phone I can't call anybody, and with no clothes I can't bare to walk the streets. I'm stuck in a place I have no knowledge of.

Moral of the story. Don't take opera tickets from your friends.

Some Guy and Arcadeus like this.
  7. Sweet Creature

Sweet Creature New Member

A single woman turning 30 - midlife crisis in full force!

8. Radrook

Radrook Senior Member

Setting: NYC Subway platform

9. Thaddaeus English

Thaddaeus English Member

Sarah Maidstone was crying. Walking down the sticky hard steps towards platform 10 and past the sweaty clusters of New York commuters. Now trying to get to the edge of her platform she nudges past three young kids.
    the kids in question look in their early twenties, late teens at most. Now nearly thirty Sarah has been finding herself looking at people in their mid-twenties as kids. Her life has become so mundane and every day feels like it takes two weeks off her life at a time.
    With a baby on the way and a boyfriend packing up to leave, her job in the toilet, maybe, she thinks, just maybe; she should keep walking off the edge. As she reaches the platform edge, pushing her slightly rounded three month belly against a man reading the newspaper, the type of man that seems at home right here. On the edge, looking through the paper at the world they don't live in. Sarah takes a deep breath, as she leads her foot off the edge she feels a hand grasp her bicep tightly.

Some Guy likes this.