1. bffgirl16

bffgirl16 New Member

I need help writing a brother and sister best friendship!

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by bffgirl16, May 9, 2015.

My character is an adult female with a fraternal twin brother. The only problem is, I don't have a siblings! So I don't know what a close sibling relationship is like, or what behavior close siblings exhibit. Someone please help!

2. Lance Schukies

Lance Schukies Active Member

3. Lance Schukies

Lance Schukies Active Member

on a personal note I get along with my 5 brothers and sisters but one, who says the worst stuff about me to anyone she can. the family has no idea why she behaves that way to me, and only me.

4. Sammy King

Sammy King New Member

From personal experience, siblings have ups and downs, if you think of the relationship as being that with your closest friend, you love them, but sometimes they give you the shits.. then you will pretty much have a relationship with a close sibling.

As for me, I get along really well with one of my brothers, my sister and I can't stand each other, and our interactions are so false and full of fake smiles and over exaggerated compliments. And my youngest brother is 17 years younger than me, so it's like have a son in a sense, who I can't discipline.

5. jodie_nye9663

jodie_nye9663 Member

cI think how close siblings are, depends on age differences and upbringing.

I am a middle child and the only girl amongst 2 brothers. We all get on extremely well. Apart from childish bickering over toys etc... (When we were young) we have never agued or fallen out.

There is 3 years between me and my oldest brother and 3 years difference between me and my youngest.

I tend to get along better with my oldest because, I looked up to him growing-up and he showed me how to do things. He always interrogated any boyfriends I had, in some ways he was a little parental. He often playfully teases me and purposely teaches my son bad habits to annoy me.

Even as adults (26 and 29), he will throw sofa pillows at me at family gatherings and tell me I’m getting arm wings.

As children, he used to sneak in my room while I was asleep and draw on me with permeant marker pens. He once drew a Nazi sign on my forehead and I had to miss school until it washed off. As my younger brother got older, they would both set traps in my room while I slept, and in their room too. Making alarm sound when doors opened, scattering marbles over the floor or placing containers of water over half-open doors. It was all in good fun though, and not meant to hurt or upset each other. It was more like a competition to outdo one another.

I get on well with my younger brother, but I tend to mother him. I put that down to the fact that our mother worked a lot and I looked after him. As adults he comes to me for advice and we see each other often. But we don’t have a playful relationship like me and my older brother.

On another note, my best friend is a fraternal twin (brother and sister). They get on very well! They travel to and from university together. They eat lunch together, they study together and even hang-out with each other’s friendship groups.

In fact, I don’t even really see him as her brother, he’s one of the group.

He teases her a lot, similarly to how my brother dose me. He tries to embarrass with stories from home or just making stuff up.

The only times I’ve know them to ague is when he leaves her out or travels home without her.

So overall it depends on the personality, age and upbringing of your characters.

I hope this helps you develop your characters :)

Last edited: May 9, 2015