1. finchgeam

finchgeam New Member

Character you're the most proud of?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by finchgeam, Jan 1, 2011.

Hi, Alec here,

A question I want to ask is what character do you look at and can with truth say that it is the one your proud of.

In my case its Derby Hat, A Mafia-Boss who works in mysterious ways that I based on Jack The Ripper and The Joker.

I love that character and he appears in many of my stories(some just you know in the background)

Thats why my avatar is a derby hat!

No you go,

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Mine is Abbot Alexander Kazuto of the Order of the Sea, around 800 years at the start of my first novel. He is one of those very important minor characters. Tall, squarely built, maybe a little on the heavy side, he has bright red hair, beard, emerald eyes and tends to wear a green hooded robe with a sea eagle embroidered on the front. Or a Tunic with same sea eagle on and trousers.

Fire and brimstone scary, verbose (uses words like Ambrosial), but also has a soft affectionate side. He has been living in secret with Uncle Tom for about fifteen years raising Tom's four sons and the Abbot's daughter. He has been protector to many and made some bizarre decisions. He has been open about sex with his children and my MCs brother who has used the Abbot as a mentor since his teen years, also seems to be able to talk to him about anything.

My MC finds him a little creepy. He is a proficient fighter and can use magic above and beyond most others. I call him my wikkipedia character because he seems to know everything (he was present for most historical events) - however he has similarities to Yoda. Didn't realise until I wrote his fight scene lol

He is just so fun to write, he is so unpredictable and speaks like a thesaurus gone wrong.

3. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Mrs Johnson, she is a cantankerous, trouble causing old twerp that will go anywhere (funerals mainly) for a free cuppa and a sandwich.

4. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

Anieli, one of my MCs. He's cool. The silent type, doesn't care for people's feelings so much. He gets judged a lot because of his eyes and doesn't like it but does it himself in return. It's fun to write his negative views on people and how they change when he does get to know the people he judged.

5. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

What kind of question is this? It's like asking me to pick a favorite child(if I had them xD). So many of my characters I am proud of. I can't pick ONE. All of the kid protagonists who faced evil head on, the adults who risk their lives to save them, the tight and loving families, and heck even some of the bad guys.

I'll use a bad guy for example. There's this guy from my fourth novel, first crime novel, who has a pretty darn sick MO if I do say so myself. And it just seems to get more deranged. The guy's seriously one of the most twisted people I've ever seen. Kind of scares me that I came up with such a terrible person.

Contrast that with say, this kid Ryan from book 2. I liked him a lot cause I felt him pretty complex for one of my protagonists. He killed somebody for a noble/selfish reason, which isn't really something my protags do. But I think he still came off as sympathetic.

So yeah, I can't pick one. If I can't pick a favorite in my short unpublished Bibliography. I cannot see how somebody with a longer one could.

6. Naiyn

Naiyn New Member

Mine is Jenna Printain. Mainly because of all the characters I've written, she surprises me the most. Just when I think I know how she'll act in a given situation, she blind-sides me and does something completely unexpected. And I love it.

She has a chip on her shoulder about being "just a little girl" and is fiercely independent. Anything the boys can do, she can do better. (Growing up with five older brothers has that effect) She has a biting sarcastic sense of humor and loves to put people on the spot with her sharp wit to see how they react. And if you really get on her bad side, she'll bury a dagger in your chest and you won't even have seen it coming.

Aside from all that, she is fiercely loyal to those she cares about, and will step in to face danger without hesitation if it means protecting her friends-- even if her friends might be better suited to handle that particular danger.

7. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

My favorite character would be Alecart Ouroboros. He was an evil warlord until he was caught and thrown in prison for several months to await his execution. Before his time was up he was drafted by the Golden Apostle, Gilgamesh, godchild of Valkyrie, to help create a better world for the humans.

He became good friends with Gilgamesh, and actually enjoyed his new life, until the other godchildren betrayed Gilgamesh, destroyed everything they worked for, and killed all their people.

At this point the goddess Valkyrie burdened him with the grand destiny Gilgamesh was supposed to have. He is now Ouroboros, Lord of the Undead, and the Sum of All Heartless. Together with his followers, they strive to protect the world from the machinations of the evil god Abdon, all the while appearing as demons, heartless killers, and general bad guys to everyone else.

This has gone on for two thousand years ,and they are still waiting for the hero of the story to appear so they can support her in saving the world.

8. Adrian Whitefield

Adrian Whitefield New Member

Interesting question!
    Well, my favorite character is Raven Berg,
    A unhuman evil overlord.
    He is just so calm when he talks to his victims and his reasoning for evil weird,
    He says that the destruction of the world is not something he necessary wants but has to do. He is also just an insane character. I like him ^^ he is everything I try not to be

9. SashaMerideth

SashaMerideth Active Member

My fave character is my antagonist. He has the ability to shut down parts of the brain or alter memories. He uses these abilities to stay out of trouble. He is motivated by narcisism and a thirst for power and influence. He has killed with a mere thought. He is flawed and deluded, believing a woman is his wife, and will stop at nothing to be with her.

10. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

To the OP - his name is Alec. I kid you not.

Alec Pembridge - 27, kind-hearted, sensitive, free thinker (in an environment where that is not a good thing to be...), yet at times stubborn and not able to listen to advice he's been given. Flawed but ultimately likeable.

11. jesus_calderon

jesus_calderon New Member

24-year-old Frederick Lucas "Freddy" Grassman, a MMORPG addict that later dies in prison.

12. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Right now I only have one character I really know. My others change to much in some drastic ways.

So Artemis is my pick. Artemis Sai(last name comes from her weapon of choice)

Artemis is a former member of the Soluri Guard, an organization that protects the Soluri's borders and acts as the Police within its borders. After her team accepts a help request from a powerful city she meets a young enslaved Soluri girl. Outraged, as the very idea of one of their own being a slave, she rescues the girl and later trains her to be a Soluri Guard. She falls in love with the young girl as she nears completion of her training and for awhile they are happy together. Events unfold and Artemis is lead to believe Rose(a working name for now) is dead and she sorta loses it. She eventually abandons the Soluri Guard and becomes an Assassin where she is eventually reunited with Rose. This encounter doesn't end to well. Well I haven't written that bit yet so I dunno if Artemis lives or dies. :(

13. Midnight_Adventurer

Midnight_Adventurer Active Member

Fiona Wallace. A 24 year-old maid who spends more of her time trying to seduce the male characters around her then actually cleaning. It begins when my three main protagonists (Addison--girl, Jace and Derek) arrive at a family estate and the rival between Fiona and Addison ignites after nearly 10 years. Fiona makes advances on both guys in an attempt to piss Addison off, only thing is she's rejected both times despite her attractiveness. Priceless!!

14. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

The main character of my main novel. (Yes, ambiguity FTW!)
    He is a brilliant and talented person that is always calm, light-hearted, and suave. He is a rationale and an idealist. He seems like a paragon as he guide others through their struggles, but he is really hiding his own loneliness and lack of direction.

15. TricksterDizzy

TricksterDizzy New Member

James Connolly aka Ryan McAudell.

He was born out of a vampire romance parody that I was playing around with for lulz which has since become a serious novel in mass editing, though still has hints of the parody elements here and there and does act as a deconstruction of the genre at many points.

Basically, I took the typical 'tall, dark, broody and handsome' vampire with no accent unless it was light, aristocratic and sexy (and no past unless it is to add to the sexiness or tragic hero complex) and switched it around. Which gave me a short, heavily accented vampire with no really straight-up attractive features and a past all his own to start off with.

He then became American Irish, as I wanted him around during the 1920's in America and I wanted him to have immigrated to the country. I then decided on a date of when he left Ireland, and found out it coincided with the Easter Rising event, which made me very curious. Thus spawned a entire background of him being one of the revolutionaries in the group, and now he takes on the name of his leader, 'James Connolly', as a alias as a reminder of where he came from.

The thing I am most proud of him about is that he is full of flaws, and is continually struggling with them, but is still a likable character who is cheerful and upbeat about life (though he wasn't at one time.). I have a near-fully realized history for him, and he is a great balance of realistic flaws (remnants of racism, a assured aka full of himself attitude about what he believes is right and wrong, etc) and virtues (struggling against said biases, honorable, etc).

16. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

You're gonna get a lot of infodump bios before long, I'm sure. But while the thread is young...

Solomon Fisher - Stoic retired serviceman and part-time mercenary/private eye. Likes good cigars, good booze, good women and dislikes a distinct lack of any of the above.

JD (Jane Doe) - Hedonistic metropolitan assassin/thief hunted for her family's legacy and mostly ignorant of her significance in the greater scheme of things. Likes R-rated "me" time and dislikes men who can't "walk like they talk".

Kestrel - Half-breed bastard angel serving as a devout knight of the holy choir. Sure in her faith but uncertain of her own worth and is constantly shot down by her superiors because of the circumstances surrounding her birth. Likes quintessentially "Good" people and dislikes people who ignore or defy God, leading to moral quandaries when a given person is both.

Hawke - Half-breed bastard demon hailed as the secret weapon against the angels of heaven. Resentful of the titles forced upon him but revels in the opportunity to grow stronger so that he can crush both heaven and hell and let the world sort itself out. Stringently Darwinian in nature - merciless to cowards but nurtures and respects potential rivals including his sister (Kestrel), much to her chagrin. Likes thunderstorms, hates wasting time.

17. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    For me it was the alcoholic wife of a man who committed suicide. Her coldness towards him was one of the things that drove him to suicide. She's my favourite character because after I finished the story she kept me up all night haranguing me about the way I'd misrepresented her, that she had loved her husband desperately and that it was his coldness to her that had driven her to drink. That was when I realised I'd created a character who was real to me.

18. KrisTheZombie

KrisTheZombie New Member

My favorite is a tie between Melik Rose and Nix Reslain.
    Melik is a 245 year old 'Ruthlast' (a breed of demon like people) soldier. He got capture, tortured then brain washed while fighting for his country on earth. He escaped with little memory of who he was – or how to get back to his home. He lived out his years on earth until he meets Kry Starr and joins her mission. He wears old school mafia like clothes and has a new york speech pattern but he’s a complete softie.
    Nix on the other hand is a 17 year old time jumper. Blonde hair, blue eyes, and a bubbly personality. Nix was abused by his alcoholic mother since he was 5 but somehow became just about the happiest little guy you'll ever meet. He found refuge from his broken home by slipping into what he thought for a long time where just dreams.

I'm not exactly sure what I love most about these two. For nix it could posibly be he was my first character I had ever made. he's been with my for a long time. haha Melik is sort of new but for some reason the man has the deepest history of all them.

19. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Hm... I dunno, really. In my current project it's a tie between two:

Riley, an important femlae supporting character. She is a fiercely independent vampiress, who saves the human protagonist from certain death on at least one occasion. She does not shy away from using murder as a way to obtain blood, but she generally only kills people that she perceives as "bad" (E.g. rapists). At one point, she kills a small child in order to save many other people, and the decision is not nearly as hard for her as it probably ought to be with someone who is one of the MC's supporting characters. She is also incapable of love, but that is a trait for all vampires in my story.

The other one is the villain. At first, he comes up as affably evil, a nobleman vampire with perfect manners. Later on, it turns out that he is really just a humane monster, his true form being very much akin to Nosferatu. But he is a shapeshifter, and immediately afterwards assumes the form of a beautiful young man while killing another character who is mourning (Over someone he also killed) with the words "I am sorry for your loss." His motivations are complicated - at times he is the perfect gentleman, killing his enemies with honour and striving for the throne of France, which he feels rightfully belongs to him (And it does, in a way). At other times, he is a sadomasochistic, psycopathic manchild who desires an impossible utopia, without any kind of regard for the consequences, but one which does not involve himself, as he thinks that he is an imperfect monstrosity. Thus, he constantly seeks out worthy opponents, in the hopes of being defeated one day.

20. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

I would have to say that Richard, the deuterogamist character of my story, is the one I am most proud of because he seems to be a protective brother for the main character whenever something goes wrong. Richard is dead though, but he posts as Jason’s guardian angel. At first, Richard would not speak to Jason until Richard found out that he was living rough in California. Then Maria, the tritagonist of the story would be just as important in Jason’s life. Richard and Maria always listened to Jason and cared about him, more than his mother care and father would. His father and mother never take the time out to help Jason lighten the burden of his misery he had in California. That is why I say that I am more proud of Maria and Richard. Maria later becomes Jason’s girlfriend and wife at the end of the story.

21. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

I'm most proud of Kenji, a female technician who lives in a forest. She gives off an abrasive and hot-tempered first impression, but she's very supportive of her friends and acts as both a mother figure and as a sibling type of character. She's as likely to take care of you as she is to give you a wedgie. She constantly changes her hair color and style, and she will always tell someone that she is two years younger than she really is because she's afraid of aging, even though 22 is not old at all.