1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Provoking and Emotions

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Cacian, Jan 20, 2012.

Many artists are known to use provocationt tactics to get something to either work with or project.
    for example:
    I have heard about a photographer that had offered sweets to a child then took them off the child to get the child to cry.
    The photgrapher was after a picture that portrays a crying child
    True Story and one that I do not agree with.

For a writer to get visuals and reactionary ideas what do you actually do to get images you want to express?

I was getting into the idea of introducing two identical twins (two girls) or (two boys) in a story but then I was wondered about the effect it would have on the rest of my characters and of course my readers.

My question is

Have you ever conversed or talked or spend time with two exact twins?
    or
    how would you feel facing or chatting or spending time with two indentitcal twins?

2. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

Yes. Many times. Off the top of my head, I know I was close with at least four pairs of twins growing up (two M/F; one F/F; one M/M) plus two sets of triplets (both F/F/F). Three of the four same-sex sets were identical. One pair I'm still in touch with and have been since 1995 although we haven't even lived in the same country for several years now. :)

Really, I don't know what you're asking. There was nothing different about conversing with these people than anyone else.

3. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I had two sets of identical twins as really good friends (at different times) and something that stood out for me was first of all, how not-identical they are once you know them better. They look very different, they speak and behave differently and usually one twin is yin the other is yang; one twin will be extroverted, the other introverted, one twin will be a tomboy the other a girly girl, one twin will be a thinker the other one a doer. But that's when twins were kids, so they hang around together all the time (something that might change as they mature). Another thing about twins I noticed was that very often, I was often having the conversation with both of them, not quite as if they were the same person, but they always did everything together. And they seemed a lot more secure and confident, because they had each other as constant support and encouragement. I always really liked twins, so even though they are people like everyone else, identical twins definitely have something a bit different about them, at least that was my experience.

4. Kallithrix

Kallithrix Banned

This is very much my experience of twins. I knew a pair of identical twin girls at school, and they fit this description exactly. One very confident and loud, the other shy and quiet. One into science, the other into art. And they mirrored each other physically too, even down to one being left and one right handed, one having a squint in her left eye one in the right - you couldn't make it up! But it's true that the more you get to know twins the more non identical they look. You notice the little things, like distinguishing marks or the tiny little differences in the shape of their features. They are very much a unit, always together and functioning as two halves of a whole - or really more like each 2 thirds of one and a half, because the middle third is shared in common between them.

5. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

This is so well put, I was reading it and nodding my head the whole time! I suppose it makes sense, developmentally, that's exactly what happens (becoming mirror images of each other).

6. Cacian

Cacian Banned

My goodness you must attract identical twins.
    What I am asking is how do you keep track of who is who?
    and what feelings do you get when talking face to face to two exact looking people?
    I was imagining it would affect my 'visual orientation' by looking at two exact looking people whilst talking at the same time.
    what effect does it have on you?
    or may be nothing?

7. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

I forgot to mention that twins run on both sides of my family - those were just friends growing-up.

I find it quite easy after a few minutes with them but it's kind of odd to explain it. Each person feels different to be around. And this goes right from a young age. I met the identical boys when I was age 3 or 4 - at that age they were dressed the same, had their hair cut the same and had rhyming names. Their temperaments were completely different. With the identical girls (I met them age 13, I think) I didn't even click that they were twins until their birthday came around (within a month of meeting them) - I just thought they were sisters close in age. They still managed to look different: different hairstyles (one had a bob and dyed it; the other had her hair down to her waist); different wardrobes (colour, style, clique-association, etc); one wore contact lenses and the other glasses; etc.

8. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Hey yoshiko thank you for that this is great.

9. hootertooter

hootertooter New Member

I agree with what has been mentioned but want to add one thing:

While more trivial traits such as extroverted/introverted, hairstyles, etc. often become yin-yang, the innate kindness* is usually identical. I say this because, in my experience, the two pairs of twins I knew were all very kind people despite some yin-yang in other traits. So the yin-yang in the fictional twins shouldn't occur** with regards to overall kindness. I think this is why (in addition to the twins often having similar hobbies and whatnot) talking to a twin without knowing which it is isn't an issue.

*I suppose twins could instead be of identical innate sadism, but I haven't personally seen that in real life. Just saying so in case these fictional twins are going be villains.
    **Of course, I've enjoyed works with twins where one is good and the other is evil. It doesn't break the suspension of disbelief for me. If it's already in your story, or if it's integral to your story, or if you simply want to do it, keep it. This is just my opinion after all.

10. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I am not aware of what this means..
    really.
    This would be a real issue to me for obvious reasons epecially if you have a friendshio bond with one of them.
    I don't understand this.
    I never thought of this actually. The perfect opposites is another word that comes to mind.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yin/yang means exact opposites... google it for how/why...

12. Cacian

Cacian Banned

thank you mamma...Iam.