1. Libby Harries

Libby Harries New Member

Character help.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Libby Harries, Nov 18, 2013.

Im writing a new story about teenage triplet girls. They are split up at birth and made to live with different families, they all have different families but only live 1-2 hours from each other. One day they meet up and try and find there parents and all that type of stuff.
    But I want to know how to name them, I have been thinking of giving their names a link -(like) flower names, bible names, word names (ILY: I love you, LUV: Love) or something like that.- I just want suggestions and feedback, please help.

2. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Having the names link together in some way is a nice idea, but you must also think practically. If you call them Lily, Poppy, and Daisy, which is which? I'm not saying it's impossible to be able to distinguish between them, but do try and make each one unique, yet similar, as they are sisters (sounds hard, and it is, but it's an interesting challenge to take on).

Try and find things that will have a link to a single word, but that each sister will have a totally different name. I have no suggestions for this, but you clearly have your own: flowers, Bible names, and names linking to love - although I don't suggest Ily or Luv, as they seem gimmicky.

And if you're still struggling, name them something quick for the entire novel e.g. X, Y, and Z, and then see where the characters take you and themselves. You may well find that names will come to you by the end of your manuscript. :)

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Do not name them Ily or Luv. Especially Luv, considering that's common internet lingo - it'd make your book look ridiculous, and there's no need for that when the story might be perfectly good.

A link is certainly a nice idea, but I'd make it more subtle than Daisy, Poppy and Lily. It should be something that the readers won't know at first glance, but then the moment it's revealed it should have the reader going, "OMG how did I miss that!?"

Bible names might be a good one, as many of women's names are actually quite ordinary. Ruth, Esther, Miriam, Deborah, Mary, Joanna, Sylvia, Helen, Hannah, Abigail, Anna, Sarah... but they're *so* ordinary that at the reveal you might get a "meh" response from the reader as looking too made up.

Thomas Kitchen likes this.
  4. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

If they were split up at birth, and went to 3 different families, I don't see why their names would be related. In most domestic adoptions that take place at birth, the adoptive parents name the children. Sometimes they will get input from the birth mother, and sometimes they will honor a previous naming, but not always. Sometimes they'll make the initially- given name a middle name. Given that we have three different families, I'd be surprised if all three of them kept the names that a birth mother might have said she wanted.

Jack Asher and Tesoro like this.
  5. Delise

Delise Member

Well if you recall Charmed the sisters names all started with the letter P. Prue, Piper, Pheobe, Page . So you can do something similar like that also? Names are never easy. Good luck.

6. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Exactly. Giving them similar names on top of the whole triplet idea is just too "cute".

Simpson17866 likes this.
  7. Delise

Delise Member

well, if they all ended up with the same name it would be funny and irritating. Maria, Maria, Maria.

KaTrian and Simpson17866 like this.
  8. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

@Delise
    Maria, Mary and Miriam? :)

Biblical names are hardly a link - they are so ingrained in western traditions and have variants (sometimes several) in all languages (European and Near-East, at least :p) that the reader is hardly gonna notice...

Flower names are nice symbolism - just try not to over-do it... Not realistic, as Chicagoliz says, but still... There are all those stories of split twins who end up having the same name, job, pets and wives :)

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh likes this.
  9. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

Why not have two of them with linking names but one that dosent. and she can be an outsider of the 3 giving a small bit of tension at the beginning ti overcome :D

10. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

You could make it more subtle for the flowers, i.e. Milla, Rosie, and Lily or something.