1. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Characters without surnames

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by mashers, Jul 15, 2017.

Is it strange that I don't give my characters surnames? Personally I cringe when I read characters introduced using their full name, and anything other than a first name doesn't seem necessary to me. The first name is sufficient to differentiate characters from each other, and adding a surname doesn't really add any more depth as far as I can tell.

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Surnames can be useful as a hint about class/ethnicity/etc. - like, Ms. vanAlden may give a different impression than Ms. Tsu or Ms. Azikiwe or Ms. Lafayette . Barring that?

I'm not sure if there's a need or not - most books do include surnames, but maybe it's just a convention? I'm not sure how my reading experience would be changed by their absence.

3. mashers

Good point. I hadn’t thought of that. Mind you, I don’t think I would assume ethnicity from a surname in most cases.

If my book is ever published you might find out ;)

4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I frequently use just a single name in most of my pieces, be it a first name or a last name. Most of my stuff is fairly off-beat and "weird" though, meaning that it kind of exists inside its own logic and doesn't stray into a greater (or more expansive) context. When I write normal, real world, contemporary shit I'm more inclined to go the traditional first name/surname route, though I would rarely introduce the character by both names. Usually it's more of a case of the character being addressed as "Bridget" by some and "Mrs. Jones" by others.

I don't know why or how but I think I picked this up from the Alien movies where all the characters had a single name and were listed as such in the credits. Even Ellen Ripley never had her first name mentioned by anyone (I think) in the first two movies. It might have written on a computer screen somewhere but I don't think it was ever spoken. (actually, I think there were a few scenes in the director's cut of Aliens that said it when they did the whole thing about her daughter -- I've seen those movies way too many times)

5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I think that's a good point about setting/genre/style being a factor. In a SF/F world, characters might not even HAVE last names... I don't think it'd bother me. And in a short story I probably wouldn't notice it missing either. But I think in a full-length contemporary piece I'd miss it.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  6. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Unless there's an organic way for it to come up, I wouldn't include last names. I don't think I've ever in my life casually introduced myself by my full name, because I'm not James Bond. If your character is checking in at a doctor's office, or their family name carries some weight, or they're introducing themself more formally for some reason, sure. But yeah, I think in most cases, you don't need'em.

7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Bot. Izzy Bot.

Cave Troll and izzybot like this.
  8. Samunderthelights

Samunderthelights Active Member

I tend to write from my main character's pov, so sometimes I don't mention their name at all, not unless they introduce themselves to someone, or it comes up in conversation.
    But it depends on the story, and the character. Because in the story I am writing at the moment, my main character (it's written from their pov) only has a first name, but the other main character has a first name, an artist name which includes a last name, and a nickname. And all of these names are important, because she's known by her nickname to her family, by her artist name to the outside world, and only by her real name by my main character. In this case, I couldn't have written her without a last name. So I think it really depends on the characters and the story on whether it's important or not.

9. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

For some reason I navigate towards writing stories with some sort of work/professional setting, and in those cases introducing yourself or referring to others by their full name flows a little easier into the story organically. If I meet a friend's friend for the first time, I'll introduce myself as "Laurin". But if I were say at a writing convention, I would introduce myself as "Laurin Kelly" instead.

10. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

This is both context and character dependent for me. Laurin gives a good point about how you're more likely to give a full name in a professional setting, but it is worth noting that if you're looking at a more historical setting people indicated distance by calling them by their surname rather than forename.

Dragomir, one of my main characters, has a streak of old-world mannerisms, so he tends to introduce himself by full name. It's also worth noting that English is not his first language, with Latin root dialects (at least in my experience) tend to be taught with more formal language first because it's relatively slow-changing than more casual language.

11. JPClyde

JPClyde Senior Member

Not just Latin, but even in modern Japan you call someone by their last name. It's a sign of respect

12. S A Lee

I've heard to use surnames without honorifics is condescending to the Japanese, though tone and the speaker's character might play a part there.

13. Seren

Seren Writeaholic

I also think that it depends on context. I often hear people introducing themselves by their full name, especially, as has been said, in a professional environment. To that end, surnames can also be essential depending on your character's profession, such as if they work as a doctor or a vet. Then they will be referred to as Dr (Insert Surname). So they can be very important at times.

14. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I do both. But most are by rank and surname.

When it comes to introducing my self, I mix it
    up. Sometimes just first, and other times I use both.
    (I don't use my middle name ever though.) :p

15. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I don't usually have a last name for my characters until they're in a doctor's office waiting for their name to be called, or at the mechanic waiting for their truck to be done or whatever. Then I have to give them one. I don't think I've ever put one in unless it comes up organically though.

16. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

This is interesting. I think a surname can add something to character development, but part of me would have almost agreed with the OP. However, full names were used in the last two novels I read. Characters were introduced with first and last names and referred to as such throughout the novel. I had no problem with it. Loved both books. And thinking about it a little more I realize it really is a common thing in novels. So, should I be doing this? Do my characters need last names? I'm kinda thinking yes. Does POV play a role in this? I'm writing my novel in first person, but I still want to include last names now.

17. JPClyde

JPClyde Senior Member

The using of honorifics was implied in my sentence. We were just talking about surnames.

San, Kun, are all forms of Miss, Mister, Misses.

18. S A Lee

I know, Japanese is half my Diploma HE...

19. JPClyde

JPClyde Senior Member

Japanese Language buddies. -high five- lol

20. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

TBH, I'm going with the "yes" people. Although my books are both set in schools, so there's a certain amount of admin stuff. I sometimes have trouble picking surnames, though, which is why one of my MCs is called "Beaurenice". Although she does have to find her father, so I suppose it wouldn't work as well if she was called "Jones"!

My favourite TV show is in the "no" camp, though, although it is fantasy. Only one character has one, and she's from an important family. (It is interesting to note, however, going back to the Japanese thing, that although it's based on Asian cultures, where the surname comes first, her names are arranged the Western way.)

21. officialgovernment

officialgovernment New Member

my screenwriting teacher told me to include surnames (screenwriting is different than novel writing, but this feels like it may apply to both), but I personally wouldn't put a book down if there were none. I'd say make some for your main characters just in case you need to use them.

22. Hervey_Copeland

Hervey_Copeland Member

In the novel 'First Blood' the main character is only referred to as Rambo. It's only in the movie that he is given the name John Rambo.

H.

23. mashers

Sorry everyone, I thought I had replied to this but then saw that my response was still shown as a draft at the bottom of the thread! I've really enjoyed reading the responses here.

With regard to the genre, my story is sci-fi. I do see what you mean @BayView about how in that genre surnames may be less prevalent, or less needed.

As far as context goes, there is never any need for my characters to use their surnames. It's interesting how someone mentioned the example of a doctor's surgery; my story actually opens in this exact context, but it's in the middle of a conversation and the doctor and the patient already have a well-established relationship. The doctor referring to the patient as Mr X would seem odd. Come to think of it, the doctor doesn't have a name at all. Maybe I should think about whether that's necessary!

Oddly, a character who came to me more recently did have a surname. I liked the name Eric for this character, and for some reason I visualised him as being of Chinese descent. The surname "Lau" came to mind, as it sounded nice with the first name to me. However, I'm worried that the reader will wonder why I have chosen only this character to have (or need) a surname. It does indeed suggest his ethnicity (though I believe 'Lau' is also a European name, possible German), and I don't want the reader to think I have chosen it only for this reason. There is also a character of Caribbean ethnicity, but I haven't used a surname to indicate this.

24. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

If there's a reason for this one guy's family name to come up, but no one else's, I don't think it'd even really register. IMO it's all about organic placement. People probably won't think "Why is he special?" - they'll probably assume that everyone else has surnames too, and they just weren't mentioned because there was no reason for them to be.

25. mashers

Good point. Actually, there is no good reason. I just liked the name. I think a shallow reason to use it will probably stand out. However, this guy is in a subordinate position (we only ever see him in his workplace), and has an overbearing and arrogant boss. Having the boss refer to him using only his surname would fit the boss's character. In another scene, he introduces himself to a group of directors, and uses his full name, which would be normal. Initially one of the directors literally tells him to fuck off, but Eric has become so assertive that the directors end up listening to him. Having one of the directors refer to him using his first name would contrast the boss's attitude and perhaps suggest to the reader that the director holds him in higher esteem than his boss does. That would also allude to Eric and the boss's character arcs, which involve them swapping roles.

Thanks for the prompt about this @izzybot! That was really helpful :)

izzybot likes this.