1. carsun1000

carsun1000 Active Member

Chat transcripts in a novel

Discussion in 'Research' started by carsun1000, Dec 28, 2015.

Anyone knows how to write a chatroom convo in a novel. I have a whole chapter that took place as a chat and was planning to italicize the whole convo (almost like a script). will it work? Has anyone read any book with a chat convo in it? how was it written? thanks.

2. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

I generally do block quotes and italics for text messages, tweets, chat rooms, etc.

Same as I'd do with a paper letter.

carsun1000 likes this.
  3. afontane

afontane New Member

I love this idea!

I've seen it done with block quotes before. Or, if it's an option for you, I like using a different font - usually something more "digital" looking like a mono-space font.

4. TkTish

TkTish New Member

Yep, I've seen it done. Both times, in two different books, it was formatted like this:

Character A: Are you busy this weekend?
    Character B: No. Why?
    Character A: I was wondering if...

No special formatting other than italics. In place of "Character A" and "Character B," you'd put the character's name or screenname (if they're using a screenname).

5. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

There is a similar thread to this one, called Style - Chat logs, that might be of interest to you. In that thread I've quoted a section with chat logs from a published novel. (I would copy it over to this thread if I wasn't writing this on my phone.)

6. tumblingdice

tumblingdice Member

I wouldn't use any special formatting, just insert them as a natural part of the novel. After all, chat convos are so common now they're part of our daily lives. Although I wouldn't object to the use of block quotes either.

I think this is a very interesting topic for those of us writing stories set in the New Tens.

7. carsun1000

carsun1000 Active Member

This is an excerpt from my work with the chat:

“Hi,” Eyeseverywhere wrote.

My body suddenly reacted to this newcomer’s greeting, not knowing what to expect.

“Hello,” I wrote back, listening to my heart attempting to pound its way out of my chest.

“Two things before we start this discussion. First, I want you to click on the link you’ll receive shortly.”

If I leave it the way it is (or just change the dialogue to italic), will it work? I checked the other link posted above and saw that the samples had chat etiquette like time stamp and screen name. I kinda want to write the chat but also as a dialogue between the two characters.

thanks for you guys' input by the way.