1. elfdragonlord

elfdragonlord New Member

How much of my stories should I post on here?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by elfdragonlord, Dec 10, 2006.

I'm new - and I've already posted the first two bits of my first story.

I've written four stories so far (plus many more totally rubbish ones years ago, but I don't count those ones) - and I am eager to get other people to read them, to see what they think.

Maybe it's not wise to post whole novels on these boards - but maybe I could post key scenes from them all (gradually, over time of course).

Also, what is the best way to get stories noticed by people - how to grab people's attention enough so that they read them in the first place?

I really do want feedback from people - and most of my friends or family either don't have the time to read my stories or aren't at all interested in fantasy (the genre I write in).

Annoys me how people think that fantasy is 'silly', 'for kids' and somehow inferior to stuff that deals with serious drama or social commentary or something (all of which fantasy can do just as well - plus other things that 'realistic' genres can't do (like deal with spiritual/philosophical concerns)) - but that's another story...

2. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

lmao if you figure this one out you'll be offensively rich indeed!!! :D
    It's all relative to a potential reader's taste. If I read a blurb and the brief description grabs me just right then chances are I'll buy it even if it isn't my usual thing. I'm more interested in wanting to read a good story as opposed to only caring about what genre a book happens to be moulded to.
    But I seem to be an exception to the rule. Most people buy or read by type. You would do well to write something that interests someone who doesn't usually read fantasy. But most writers will know their readership and cater to them.

Stick your neck out and get your feet wet. Write for many online e-zines if you get the chance. Take up a lot of opportunities to network around and be willing to write for free or next to nothing if you can at first whilst practicing to master your craft in the process.
    If you make a name for yourself then you will only do yourself good as most publishers, let alone agents, won't touch untested talent with a ten foot bargepole.

First of all don't bother with friends or family. If you ask them for critique they'll either kill your story for you while it's only in the sensitive stage of writing, or more than likely they'll kill you with their kindness! Tis a fool's errand down that path.
    You've done the right thing by joining here as many are more than happy to critique your work. Don't forget to repay the favour. Be willing to take knocks to your work and to obsess over improving yourself. No one knows everything about writing which is good as that means there is always room for improvement.

Obviously the genre is not for them so don't aim your work that way. Aim it towards the market who do value fantasy. And don't tell me there isn't much in the way of a market for fantasy. One trip to any Forbidden Planet store will put that sentiment bang to rights...and then some!

3. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

:::ignore comment. Posted twice:::

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

do you mean 'stories' or 'novels'?... not the same thing...

anyway, you should be aware that if you post a significant part of either on a public board, it will not be publishable, since that's considered 'being published' in the publishing world, even though you wouldn't be considered a 'published author' till you're paid for having your ms turned into a book or appear as a story in a magazine...

the reason being, why should any publisher pay you to publish something that's available online for free?

so, only post small excerpts... the 'locked' sites claim to overcome that problem, but i'd still avoid posting an entire work that you hope to sell...

5. elfdragonlord

elfdragonlord New Member

Thanks - I didn't know that.

Will do a quick u-turn in my plans to post my novels on Live Journal for friends and family to read

Thanks also to Max Vantage - I think I'll try and break in via short stories in E-zines. Sounds like a good idea.

6. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

If you post a novel chances are you're not going to get much feedback. I'd recommend posting individual chapters in the novel review forum in some format:

Title - Chapter 1
    Title - Chapter 2

As individual threads.