1. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Chatroom style stories

Discussion in 'Research' started by MilesTro, Nov 12, 2015.

Anybody know of any book that is written like a chatroom on the internet? I want to try that style for a 3k short story. You can also post a chatroom style narrative if you like. I only wished to checkout a sample.

2. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

I don't know of any, I've seen a draft by a fellow writer of mine who's story was entirely the toing and froing of emails that became love letters, became arguments and then goodbyes—all without the mcs ever meeting. I'm unsure whether it ever made it to press.

For the chatroom, I think it'd be a damn good idea to take on. I considered it myself nigh on a decade back when it was more difficult to find anything out about anyone. I inhabited a room (out of interest and as a time killer initially) with the full spectrum of personalities (by their declarations and my observations): Comedians wanting an audience, lonely types, seedy types, disabled folk unable to get out and about and the silent types watching from the sidelines.
    There was one other type though, who struck me quite profoundly and this inhabited my thoughts beyond the chatroom. It was the sociopathic type; one or two spent some time there with the sole purpose of controlling their fellow chatters, winning them over with fierce intellect and feeding off their agreement and adulation, no matter how radical or socially inappropriate their ideology would be considered outside the realm of the room.
    Witnessing it was addictive; I thought myself too wise to be swayed by those mentioned above but I did one day—just stop. I felt my subconscious was being got to; a sense a freedom followed, my life got busier and I had I the time I'd have documented it. I'd love now to see those chat transcripts if they exist anywhere.

edit... I think you'd need more than 3000 words

3. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

All I can think of is that film, Chatroom or something? It is shit.

4. SethLoki

A film would be very difficult or otherwise rubbish. To me it would only have legs if written really really well and in book form only. Close to the action in first person, all characters being virtually present; their output pared down to words only. The reader always then in swirl about meaning, bluff and agenda without the benefit of seeing mannerism. Their confusion though is overridden by a curiosity keeps them in.

5. Chinspinner

Ah, but this take more talent than the one room set, $50k budget film-makers who are likely to take advantage of this possibility, are capable of. Sadly stripped down filming these days largely involves awful horror films made for a dime and released at Halloween. Subtlety? Not a chance.

In terms of a novel? It is a big ask of both the writer and reader to make it work.

6. SethLoki

Therein lies the rub. A risk taking, challenge loving writer of repute and an audience willing to overlook the stigmas of chat room participation*; and not just that, but pick it from the shelf and dive in. A shame mind, as the experience I mentioned above gave me a great insight into people's behaviour and how it's modified by partial anonymity.

*It's not so bad now but my time spent in such places, in the early noughties, I'd not have told a real world soul about such shenanigans.

7. Chinspinner

I will answer the chat room malarchy: Anonymity is a fun one. Would I troll as much if sat in a pub with these people? Probably more. But the instant recognition that it is a little fun would diffuse any malice. Do I care about the loss of anonymity... to a degree, because my job does not benefit from an online presence (in fact it is probably a negative)... if my job were not a consideration... hell no! Come visit.

8. New_Writer55

New_Writer55 New Member

I do! It's a YA series by Lauren Myracle. I remember one of the books in the series is called TTYL, and it's about 4 high schoolers and their drama.

Steerpike likes this.
  9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

That's the one I was going to mention :)

10. Kathryn Donahue

Kathryn Donahue New Member

The only thing I have read that is similar to what your looking for is a book called 'The Boy Next Door' by Meg Cabot. The entire novel is done via email. It's a chick lit novel that I haven't read in years. I do remember it fondly though.

11. New_Writer55

New_Writer55 New Member

Yeah the series I mentioned is about 4 books if you wanna check them out. Might I ask what what your book is about, because I think the idea of it is pretty interesting?

12. Kathryn Donahue

Kathryn Donahue New Member

Well from what I remember it starts with the main character having an email exchange with the HR of her employer The New York Journal and continues from there. Everything is done and explained through email. You never see beyond them which I found interesting at the time. I don't want to give too much away in case you decide to read it.

13. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

There is also a movie called The Boy Next Door. Very terrible.