1. shamrock838

shamrock838 New Member

Scanning to Reduce Home Office Paper

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by shamrock838, Oct 13, 2009.

Scanning to Reduce Home Office Paper:

Are there basic guidelines for scanning file drawers of accumulated paper research files … plus 100’s of 35mm slides … into .jpg files on my computer? For example … are there shortcuts, organizational tips, general commonsense procedures, etc?

Thanks.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

University library services commit such documents to PDF files, and index them with lists of keywords in a database. I don't know how efficient PDF is relative to other imaging formats, but it does capture documents in a form that retains graphics and images adequately for general research purposes.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

no easy way to do it, imo... i use a scanner for some things and it's a page-by-page chore, but worth the effort, if needed...

as for how to organize your files, that's up to you... whatever works best for you is the best way... just do it the same way you file all your computer generated stuff...

4. shamrock838

shamrock838 New Member

Scanning to .JPG or .PDF Format?

I’ve embarked on a large-scale program of digitizing: (a) existing paper research files; (b) 35mm color transparencies; and (c) b&w prints to save space and provide a centralized, searchable database. This resource would be regularly backed up as a safeguard.

What are the pros and cons of scanning to: - .jpg or .pdf formats, please? I’m thinking also of file longevity here. BTW I discarded the .tif option as the files are just too large.

What system do you use and why?

Thanks.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

JPG is a lossy format. depending on the compression ratio and the content, you may lose fine details of the image. PDF, on the other hand, is a lossless format. Whatever detail is captured by the scan will be preserved in the saved file.

JPG can be a space saver, if loss of detail is not an issue.

6. shamrock838

shamrock838 New Member

Thanks for your input.

Looks like PDF is the way to go for file scanning, while JPG is probably best for photographs and slides.

Now I've already scanned a large number of paper files into JPG. Is there any way to batch convert easily these into PDF? The latter would take up less space and not be lossy. Also, what about "PDF Searchable" ... how does that work?

Thanks.

7. shamrock838

shamrock838 New Member

Which PDF File Type Best for Scanning?

Which PDF File Type Best for Scanning?

I want to reduce the size of my research paper files. [I have both Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0 and Acrobat 9 Standard and my scanner is part of the HP Photosmart C4480 Color Printer/Copier/Scanner.]

There seems to be two ways to scan paper files into Acrobat PDF format: Normal PDF and Searchable PDF. Which is best to use for my purposes.

Thanks.