Tags:
  1. Paperfox_Illustrations

Paperfox_Illustrations New Member

Cut vocal cords

Discussion in 'Research' started by Paperfox_Illustrations, Dec 15, 2020.

I’m plotting out a story idea and in it the main character goes mute as someone cuts her throat hitting her vocal cords. She survives but can’t speak.

Is that possible? Also how would that play out? Would she pass out as soon as it happens/is it something that can get fixed/in general how would it affect her to things like breathing and daily life months after????

rakle likes this.
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

it'd have to be a stab... a side to side cut would undoubtedly severe a vein or an artery, and probably your wind pipe as well

3. Paperfox_Illustrations

Would stabbing the voice box/vocal cords still lead to enough damage to cause someone to go mute?

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

probably not entirely - but any serious damage to that area could impede talking for a while.

5. Paperfox_Illustrations

Ok thank you

6. hirundine

hirundine Contributor Contributor

Not an expert, but a stab wound that got severely infected or developed an abscess could possibly do it.

7. Cilogical

Cilogical Banned

You’d be better off having an injury to the relevant area in the brain (Broca’s area) than damaged vocal cords for someone to go mute.

8. Le Panda Du Mal

Le Panda Du Mal Contributor Contributor

One of the greatest spaghetti westerns, The Great Silence, directed by Sergio Corbucci, features a protagonist rendered mute when his throat was cut as a boy. Is this medically realistic? I have no idea. I don't really care and I don't think you should worry about it either. Let poetry win against vulgar realism every time.

Paperfox_Illustrations and Xoic like this.
  9. Reece

Reece Senior Member

Cave Troll likes this.
  10. Paperfox_Illustrations

Do you think it would cause you to cough up blood? (Since they got stabbed in the throat)

11. frigocc

frigocc Contributor Contributor

This. The vocal cords are resilient motherf*ckers. I don't suggest watching at all, ever, in a million years, but (not to be too graphic)
    there's an old video of the Los Zetas drug cartel beheading some guy with a chainsaw. Dude could make sounds even as they cut completely through.

12. Paperfox_Illustrations

Do you think it’s possible for a person to go mute from the vocal cords being stabbed?

13. DriedPen

DriedPen Member

I have had my throat cut and the surgeon accidentally nicked the cords in my throat. I can speak fine now, but I always have a sore throat. My long term problem is with the cords that run between a persons thyroid and their windpipe. They convey Vitamin D and Calcium and to throw them forever out of whack, throws off your sleep schedule.

They found more cancer though, so more throat-cutting is in my future.

14. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

I suppose your character could still whisper ... that action doesn't involve the vocal cords.