Tags:
  1. Kismet83

Kismet83 New Member

Choosing a supernatural power/conflict?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Kismet83, Oct 27, 2018.

I’m in the early stages of writing, but I have the general plot idea. Currently, I’m trying to come up with the right supernatural power for the main male character. I want him to be a danger to the main female character is someway, but I’m also toying with the ideal if immortality.

My real issue is that I’m trying to avoid the vampire or werewolf route - I want something different. On the other hand, I don’t want him to be a grotesque ogre :)

Any insight, suggestions, or random wonderful kooky ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Stacy

2. animagus_kitty

animagus_kitty Senior Member

I feel like there's not enough information to really help you out. I could provide you with a link to a cryptozoo website that lists cryptids and monsters, but it *sounds* like you're asking for something a little more...personalized.
    What's your book about? What's the setting? What's the plot? Anything could help us give better answers.

Also, welcome to the group!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

I agree we could use a little more information but I think (as you seem to be looking for something unique) it needs to be your creation and the inspiration needs to come from you. You could create your own species. But think about limitations and they are usually more interesting than what magic can do.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  4. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Contributor Contributor

Hello!

While I do agree with the two comments below, I hope my ideas can give you some light on the tunnel. You want to work with immortality, that's fine, however, don't make that character overpowered. Make him pay for the price of immortality. Now where you can explore many things, a curse on his family, he had to sacrifice something in return (it doesn't necessarily mean a sacrifice for a demon, but something personal which he had to lose), or even maybe his immortality is connected with the female character?

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Do you want this to be more of a supernatural race type thing, or more of a magic or superpower thing? It's not clear?
    Also, what is the general lore of your world? Supernatural urban fantasy? High fantasy? Mythical? Occult? Paranormal? Are there spirits? Gods? Magic? It's not really clear. More info pls. And what about the character himself?
    Are werewolves usually immortal? I suppose that could just be considered for the danger bit. In that regard does the answer have to include immortality?
    If you want something dangerous and not very done, I have no idea if it'll fit with your story but Yokai are always fun to see done, especially as the Japanese have a wonderful taste for horror. A number of them are dangerous amd some are immortal in lifespan or even completely unkillable. Especially the ghosts which can only be exorcised.

6. 18-Till-I-Die

18-Till-I-Die Banned

Hey welcome to rebel headquarters!

My first question would be what nature of supernatural are we dealing with? If it's something more superhero-y like psychic powers or wizardry you can just write it as him being immortal and dangerous as a matter of course, perhaps throw some amorphous godlike threat like Cthulhu or something in there. An idea I always liked was something like the psychic powers of Warhammer 40,000 where the all powerful Gods of Chaos are more physical avatars or manifestations of human feelings and sins than any kind of true God, almost mindless in their myopic need for a specific sin (lust, filth, dishonesty, etc) yet in that field utterly omnipotent. This spawns humans with psychic powers who manifest some aspect of these Chaos Gods, i.e. beings who worship the God of Dishonesty have scheming and stealth and subterfuge in their veins while those who worship the God of Violence are near-mindless war machines that make the Incredible Hulk look like Gandhi and so on.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. Bobby Burrows

Bobby Burrows Banned Contributor

Sounds like they could be like Jet Li's The One where two characters shared a common power and grew stronger by taking the life force of the other.
    Their counter part for an energy distribution who's in effect taking half of their power.

Maybe write something where this superpower ability comes from a power that's shared between your protagonist and antagonist, and make it like that movie The One where, if one dies, the other gains their life force and it makes them stronger.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  8. Bobby Burrows

Bobby Burrows Banned Contributor

You could dress your story up to be vampires and werewolves, but why?
    My advice to you is to write about what you know; write is about someone like you, or someone you like/want to be, so don't don't even worry about that vampire werewolf route because - You could make it werewolves and vampires or super heroes or anything you want, it's like a mask for a power struggle story with super powers you want, so treat it like something that's yours that you could put to and sell to something depending who you're pitching your story to, make it Homer and Bart Simpsons for all it matters, it's your thing, you can make it as if it were the Bee Gees, it doesn't matter.

And get crazy fun writing mystical about the Bee Gees and hope they like it, but keep it entertaining, so, entertain yourself with whatever you chose to write and hope others get it, got it, but, entertain/amuse yourself first.
    It's a cool story that could be told with minor edits that could speak of historical wars and fantasy.
    It's a power struggle with two sides.

Could be a love story like Anthony and Cleopatra right? IDK, it's your story but that's my thoughts, it's about super power struggle.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  9. Kismet83

Kismet83 New Member

Thank you ALL for the input and suggestions. You've given me a lot to ponder over the weekend :)