1. @theunheardwriter21

@theunheardwriter21 Member

Choosing Last Names

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by @theunheardwriter21, Aug 29, 2018.

I am around the 10k mark, out of minimum 45-50k, and I have drawn up a very crucial scene in the upward slope of my storyline. I have hit a major road block - giving a last name to a minor antagonist (yes, a last name is necessary). First name is Skylar, female, mid-20's, athletic build/5'6", dark brown eyes, light brown/strawberry blonde hair dyes to black cherry red (possibly). Help!!

2. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

What ethnicity is your characters.? Is she related to any major family? Why is the last name important? Is it set in a fantasy world or ours?

For me, I just like to make something up. Mind you my story is set in a fantasy world, so our world last names do not rally apply.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Swanson
    Williams
    Estavas
    Van-Houghton
    Warbenjagermanjensen?

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  4. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

What kind of people where her parents? Where is she from? What kind of socioeconomic class and culture are we talking?
    Without other information I suggest perhaps Keanes. Skylar Keanes has a nice ring to it and it's a surname with a similar "upper-middle class white hippy feel to it" IMO.

5. @theunheardwriter21

My apologies for not including my full character bio (as far as what has been drafted).

The story takes place in Georgia, USA. She was born overseas to military parents (US Air Force) but came state-side when she was 3 years old. She met my main character's significant other (my secondary main character) in Elementary School and stayed very close friends until she moved back overseas with her parents at 17 years old. The two were the stereotypical attached-at-the-hip best friends prior to Skylar moving. A critical part of their story/history is that they were frequently known as doing everything together, and were given the nicknames "Sky-bar" (Skylar - after the candy bar name) and "Snickers" (Nicole - family and close friends call her Nikki, long term girlfriend calls her Nic or Nics).

General character bio:
    Born: Naval Air Station Sigonella, Italy, Winter 1992
    Female, Caucasian
    Heterosexual
    5'6"
    Dark Brown eyes
    Light brown/strawberry blonde hair; dyes hair black cherry red (takes place present day, 26 years old, when her and Nicole reconnect [first necessary mention of altered hair color])
    Bachelor's of Art degree in Business Communication (University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom) [graduated at 22 years old]
    Socioeconomic class: raised in middle-high zone of Middle Class spectrum [due to parents being high paid ranks in USAF: father (officer) - Lieutenant Colonel at retirement, mother (enlisted rank) - Chief Master Sergeant retiring soon]
    Raised in Christian faith, but not strictly followed/enforced in the home/environment. Raised to be humble and selfless, volunteered at family events to run kids' games and activities once in teen years.

This is pretty much all of the info that I have drafted for this character.
    Last names I have highly considered:
    - Bramley
    - Campbell
    - Chambers
    - Collins
    - Harris
    - Holmes
    - Laraway

I'd love to hear any and all ideas or input yall have to offer - either post below in the comments or shoot me a message and we can talk more in detail. :)

6. @theunheardwriter21

It is set in a present day, realistic setting and plot.

7. graveleye

graveleye Senior Member

funny. I'm working on a sequel to my first novel, and am thinking about whether I need to give my main character a last name.
    I wrote a 95k word novel and not once did I mention his last name. Same goes for most of my other characters.

I'm not sure why I did it that way, but last names just didn't seem important for my story.

@theunheardwriter21 likes this.
  8. @theunheardwriter21

I use an intense level of detail and emotional appeal and connection within my work, especially my current WIP. So when building a character bio, backstory, and role in my overall storyline and in specific scenes, last names and sometimes middle names as well are a tool I am fond of using.

Cave Troll and graveleye like this.
  9. graveleye

graveleye Senior Member

I asked one of my beta readers if they thought I needed to give them last names.
    Her reply: "I didn't even notice." lol

Cave Troll likes this.
  10. ddavidv

ddavidv Senior Member

I've used internet random name generators with some success, even if to just pull a first or last name. My choices are mostly based on what sounds right.

I also wrote an entire novel using no last names for multiple characters until the very end when the MC was addressed by a government official. Until that point in the story her last name simply wasn't necessary. Some readers found it odd; others didn't notice at all.

Cave Troll likes this.
  11. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Interesting. In my first book one of my MCs went through most of the book only by a title. Think 20pgs from the end does she ever name herself. O_0
    Though nobody seems to notice.

12. Ashley Watters

Ashley Watters Member

The family is from Georgia so if you give character a last name, use something that would be common in that area. I use a random name generator which lists 20 names at once. I look down the list but generate a new list if a name does not jump out to me. The lists only give me options. I use what is right based on story and location.

13. Irina Samarskaya

Irina Samarskaya Senior Member

Most people are named after professions, their ancestors, places, or something out of nature. Just look at a map of England and zoom in on the cities and you'll find half of all Anglo names in existence right there (as many people named themselves after their place of birth/ownership, or named their place after themselves).

So, just think of what makes the most sense in her family history and go from there.

14. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

When we used to play roleplaying games, and we couldn't figure out what to do next, we would open a fortune cookie. (We usually ordered Chinese food with roleplaying games.)

Insert the random into your fictional world: Find a magazine. Find the masthead--where they show the names of the publisher, editor, contributors, blah. Count down the names until you get to the thirteenth one. That's your last name.