1. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Ireland

Discussion in 'Research' started by Rei, Oct 13, 2008.

There are three pieces of information I need some help finding for my novel:

I need to find a name of a smaller town, preferably rural, that is near Dublin. If you know of one and even have pictures, that would be a great help.

Is Ireland in the same time zone as England, and about how long do you think it would take to fly from Toronto to Ireland?

If you have flown on Air Canada recently, what sort of food did they serve and what movies did they show?

Thanks a lot for you help.

2. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

Hi Rei,

Ireland and England have the same time zone from what I remember. I haven't been myself but my brother flies there all the time as do a few of my friends (admittedly we're not in toronto and can't help you there) but I'll ask them to put together some snaps for you and write a few notes on some of the surrounding villages. I'll PM them to you when they're all done.

That way you'll have a few to choose from. Hope that helps! :)

3. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I suggest a map from map quest and photobucket/wikipedia + a google/yahoo search (for pictures)

EDIT: I did some of the work to help yeh :D Map Quest: Great Britain

Flying from New York City to England is about 12 hours. I'd say 13-14 should do it for a Toronto to Ireland Flight. You might not even need to give specific hours. Just say is an "all day trip." They are in the same time zone +5 Hours for eastern time.

I haven't flown air canada. I always flew Delta (Delta = Don't Expect Luggage to Arrive/Don't Expect to Leave the Airport :rolleyes:).

4. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

The surrounding counties are Fingal, Kildare, Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown and Wicklow which could help you narrow down a search for the town you want. Perhaps try tourist office sites for these counties and break down by town until you find one you like.

Ireland has the same time zone as the UK and as such is currently on GMT+1 time. It is subject to daylight savings.

I recently flew Seattle - London with NWA which cannot be too different in feel to an Air Canada flight. The fligth was ten and a half hours. If you must know, the films I readily consumed aboard were Night At The Musuem, Leatherheads, Be Kind Rewind, and Cars. I went high-brow.

The food was a peculiar mix of sandwiches, ham and or cheese, pasta and sauce main meals and muffins. Everything was somehow sweaty.

One anecdote I know of Air Canada which you might like to use is that apparently, they do not have such strict age and appearance criteria for their stewardesses as other Airlines. As such, some Air Canada stewardesses (and stewards) have been described as cantankerous gargoyles, but I have no proof either way to offer. Flying Air Canada, or so I've heard, can be quite an experience!

5. Rei

Actually, Seatle is right on the Pacific Ocean, and Toronto just North of New York State, so the times would probably be different.

6. Gannon

True of course, I meant that NWA and Air Canada were unlikely to be too greatly different rather than them being geographically close. My apologies.

7. Rei

*smacks forehead* I read your last post wrong.

Anyway, since you have taken long flights, perhaps you could tell me what it's like to sit in a plane for such a long time. The most I've ever done is from Toronto to Orlando, and that's only about three hours, with no jetlag because it's the same timezone.

8. Gannon

I found that unsurprisingly it was unconfortable. On the way out a small girl to my left used me as a foot rest for most of the flight which was annoying but tolerable as she was cute. On the return flight I had the mixed blessing of having an empty seat next to me.

Trans-Atlantic flight tend to have sets of three seats next to the window and a set of four in the middle of the aircraft. In the middle of the plane therefore, I had an empty either side and a fellow passenger on one end. He and I therefore had two seats each. Try as you like though it is nigh on impossible to get comfy. Invariably you will end up with a stiff neck.

If trapped in by a fellow passenger, drinking alcohol is a bad idea as they will invariably be a heavy sleeper, trapping you in when you need the toilet most.

Time does pass fairly quickly, but staying still is tricky. Most none-fgrequent flyers (myself included) will be slightly concerned though only a little, about the threat of DVT so will want to do as instructed and stretch and ealk about. This is difficult as you imagine. It is with genuine relief that one leaves the aircraft.

Should someone fall asleep not placing the window shutter down then this can be annoying as you will almost certainly be above the clouds and in sunlight at some point. This will not help you sleep.

Jetlag doesn't happen on the plane. Either you sleep or you become tired. Jetlag is the adjustment to timezone when you arrive. For the majority this results in a period of sluggishness which will pass fairly innocuously.

If you have any more specific questions please ask.

9. Emerald

Emerald New Member

Depends what you need. There's plenty of rural towns in Dublin (the county). If it has to be outside the greater Dublin area, I'd pick a town in Meath or Kildare on the border, because there's still a lot of accessibility since a lot of people commute in from there. Like Maynooth (mah-nooth). It's all 18th century, and has got an abbey and an old university (which I'm planning on going to for a psychology degree next year).

Yes, Ireland and England are both on GMT. And I've never flown to Canada, but I'd agree with 14 hours, more or less. It takes about that much to get to Atlanta, and that's about the same distance... I think.

I'm sure you could hazard a guess. Airplane food and movies are pretty much the same no matter where you go or who you go with...

As for long flights -- Gannon's pretty much summed up the whole experience. Usually the jet engines are so loud it's impossible to have a decent conversation without shouting, and after a couple hours your throat'll be raw. Having something to do is a must -- a book to read, work to work at, games to play. Listening to music usually doesn't work too well, 'cause it's drowned out by roaring engines.

It's bad enough for someone who actually enjoys flying. I'd hate to have a fear of it...

10. pippin1710

pippin1710 New Member

Toronto is eastern Time zone so yes i think 5 hours between that and dublin and for Air Canada it is a very nice airline with excellent meals stewardess are usually helpful I have never had to sleep on a plane though with air canada but i assume its a cozy sleep if your flying over the atlantic.

11. Medic

Medic New Member

I live, and have done my entire life, in Northern Ireland. So if I can help in anyway just ask.

Of the top of my head, some great little towns outside Dublin that you could use as your setting are Clonsilla which is a village and district just six miles northwest of Dublin. However though it was originally a small village in its own right Clonsilla has now a large residential area. Also you have Kildare, Celbridge and Bray.

For a more quite area you will need to go a bit further inland from dublin in order to get some "real" Irish Villages such as the wonderfully small Geashill..

12. Emerald

Emerald New Member

Ehh, man, you do know where Dublin is, right? It's gonna take a lot longer than five hours to get to toronto from there.

Ya'll get that I LIVE in Dublin, right?

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Psst - I think pippin was talking time zone differences, not travel time. Perhaps if the Concorde were still in use...