CISPA passed the House. Devastated

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SIDunbar, Apr 21, 2013.

1. SIDunbar

SIDunbar New Member

2. SIDunbar

SIDunbar New Member

As for Google 'owning' half the information shared on the net, I was referring to it being the largest search engine and the connecting factor for 75% of the world.

Also I was speaking about dark fiber.

Dark fiber is high-speed fiber-optic networking cable that hasn't been switched on yet. Insiders say Google owns more dark fiber than any other organization in the world. As more and more people use the Internet to download movies, TV shows, music and other media, Internet service providers will struggle to meet the increased bandwidth demands. Google, meanwhile, will use all of that dark fiber to build its own faster, more efficient version of the Internet. When ISPs reach their capacity, they will have no option but to route all of their traffic through Google.

3. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

You mean people who break the law? :rolleyes:

I'm done. You ask me what my endgame was and it was only to showcase your warping of the truth to forward your otherwise noble agenda. It's unfortunate that you have to stoop to these kinds of low-information scare tactics to garner support. Good luck though...

4. SIDunbar

SIDunbar New Member

How did they know those people broke the law? How did they find them, do you think? I was giving you an example of people being tracked, something you said DOESN'T and CAN'T happen.

Again, please, this was NO CALL TO ACTION. THIS WAS POST ABOUT sadness. The only reason the link went up was because someone asked me to provide it. You didn't read the first page, obviously. You just responded out of about something you said YOU KNEW NOTHING ABOUT.

Keep doing those searched. Educate yourself. I want to help you, if possible. I'm happy to. In fact, here

http://www.paralegal.net/cispa/

CISPA EXPLAINED IN A QUICK, SIMPLE IMAGE.

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Out of the millions of people who pirate material, only a tiny fraction get arrested and/or fined. As far as I know, the authorities don't take any action unless the copyright owners press charges. However, there was one case that I know of where the US government went after an individual even though the copyright owner didn't want to pursue charges. I'm talking, of course, of the whole Aaron Swartz thing with JSTOR. So I do understand your concern, but this whole problem can be avoided if you don't pirate stuff in the first place.

6. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

It is you that knows nothing about this subject. A sad day? CISPA will be defeated in the Senate and Aaron Swartz was a criminal that killed himself because he couldn't handle the punishment that he deserved. He wasn't a martyr and the Government isn't some lofty tyrant striking down innocent people.

Real life is never as romantic as stories, even though people re-tell them that way.

7. SIDunbar

SIDunbar New Member

8. SIDunbar

SIDunbar New Member

AGAIN, for the 3rd time, THIS ISN'T ABOUT PIRATING!!!

That was a loose example of the fact that you can and are being watched.

THIS ISN'T ABOUT SEARCH ENGINES OR BEING ARRESTED. THIS IS ABOUT A VIOLATION OF YOUR PRIVATE THOUGHTS FOR ADVERTISING PURPOSES (email, private messages, etc.)

PLEASE
    PLEASE
    PLEASE

Read through the forum again before reacting. It's costing time.

9. SIDunbar

SIDunbar New Member

ALSO, IF ANYONE TRULY WANTS TO KNOW ABOUT WHAT CISPA IS YOU CAN FIND OUT (some of it) HERE instead of wading through all the crap :)

I apologize to anyone who came here to post about the original topic. This is so out of hand and silly. As always.

And, for anyone who hasn't already learned this about internet sites:

IF YOU'RE NOT PAYING FOR IT, YOU'RE THE PRODUCT.

10. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

How did he die 'fighting to protect me' when he hung himself in his apartment?

11. SIDunbar

SIDunbar New Member

I was speaking to the INTENSE pressure he was under from government agencies. As I ALREADY SAID. He was still facing charges years later (which is common knowledge to anyone), he received death threats, they threatened to expose information about his distant family relatives if he didn't retract and give in. He was in a rock and the HARDEST PLACE. He made his choice to help people. He wasn't a coward. It wasn't easy. But again, this is all something you know nothing about and shouldn't speak on. Please don't go out of your way disgrace someone whose family just buried him IN JANUARY OF THIS YEAR.

Done with the A.S. stuff. Seriously. He was a friend, and a good person (please don't ask for a source on that claim). I refuse.

12. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Yeah six months in jail with restitution is pretty intense.

Regardless, CISPA is bad, even without all the imaginary government and corporate plots and bizarre hero-worshiping.

13. thirdwind

Yes, I know. We've been watched for a long time. It's really nothing new. Like I mentioned before, the NSA collects everyone's emails. As for the advertising part, that's nothing new, either, and CISPA or not, personalized ads aren't going to go away.

Also, I wouldn't call it a violation of private thoughts or anything remotely like that. Companies simply look at what you search for and/or keywords in your emails and provide results and ads based on that. You have to look at it from their point of view. Google's services are free. Their email service, search engine, maps, etc. is all free. If they don't generate revenue with ads, how are they going to pay for all that? The way Google does it is by looking for relevant keywords and generating ads based on that. I don't really have a problem with that. If you have an issue with it, there are other email providers out there. But just remember that all email providers can read your email.

14. SIDunbar

SIDunbar New Member

HE WAS A FRIEND. THIS ISN'T HERO WORSHIP. HE WAS GATHERING INFORMATION ABOUT ABUSES. THEY'VE BEEN TARGETING REDDIT, which he co-founded, BECAUSE OF THEIR ANTI-SOPA tendencies since it's advent.

Why am I not allowed to be sad? Because he took his own life? He was facing charges YEARS after his arrest. PLEASE. FACTS. This is killing me.

15. SIDunbar

SIDunbar New Member

Just because something is happening and has happened doesn't mean we shouldn't fight what we can. That's all we can do.

Also, how is reading PRIVATE msgs not a violation of PRIVACY?

Advertising is aggressive and invasive. If you want a country in bed (excuse me, MORE in bed) with the companies that sell to you, you want a country that isn't governed by what might be GOOD for the PEOPLE. You want a country that is governed by what SELLS to the people. And we all know how dangerous that can be. *cough* McDonalds.

16. SIDunbar

SIDunbar New Member

And again, we aren't just talking about what CISPA can do, but what it MIGHT do. And I guarantee you, in the wrong hands, it is dangerous. BUT DON'T LISTEN TO ME! Check the link I've posted.

17. thirdwind

I wouldn't fight those policies. I use the services provided by Google a lot and like the fact that they're free. I know that Google runs keyword searches on my email and that they tailor search results specifically to me, but by using their services, I've agreed to all that.

It is, but all email providers have the ability to read your email. You're basically trusting them not to. Unless you're willing to use snail mail or fax or something along those lines, I don't see an alternative.

So you would rather pay for these services?

18. SIDunbar

SIDunbar New Member

Yes, I would, like choose I pay for connection. If you're ok with an email to your grandmother being scanned and used to sell to you, that's ok for you. The rest of us will keep voicing out outrage at exploitation. Legal or not. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's beneficial. Just because it's rampant doesn't mean it shouldn't be stopped.

19. SIDunbar

SIDunbar New Member

Again, this wasn't about CONVERTING people or changing minds. Anyone who didn't know what CISPA was could waltz right past this post, as I intended.

However, I am happy someone in France knows that it could effect him. I'm glad he went beyond what I said and sought out information himself, as any rational person would do.

All this, from a post about a novel I wrote and an interview I did weeks ago. Goodness gracious.

20. thirdwind

That's different. I was asking about paying for things like Google or Gmail.

21. SIDunbar

SIDunbar New Member

I said I would pay for them. Just like I pay for connection. But I already do, with my information. Which, to me (and to them, btw), is infinitely more valuable than dollars.

22. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Signed the petition, though I'm not a US citizen, but this still blows. I do love how the aim is stated: "to help the U.S government investigate cyber threats and ensure the security of networks against cyberattack". Yeah, bet my dollars to donuts it'd be used just for that. Seriously, am I/are we too paranoid here or are there really that naïve people on the supporting side that they can stand proudly behind this f*ckery...

23. SIDunbar

SIDunbar New Member

What's sad is that I don't think they disagree with CISPA, just with me. They think I'm some sort of like, CISPA spokesperson. I'm just a girl. I've said I have no dog in this fight except for to protect my own interests (and maybe those of my future family).

Thank you, though, for taking a moment to change history. Not because of what I SAID, but because you saw the information for yourself and acted according to your own judgement and moved on (as any normal, functioning adult would)/

24. thirdwind

For the record I signed the petition several days ago (way before this thread was made). I am against CISPA for a variety of reasons, but a lot of people seem to have misconceptions about it.

25. SIDunbar

SIDunbar New Member

I know you aren't opposed to CISPA. I said that. And yes, TONS of ppl have misconceptions. Here's the link again that shows they DO in fact have access to name, address and phone number.