1. The Byzantine Bandit

The Byzantine Bandit New Member

Citation Needed?

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by The Byzantine Bandit, Oct 13, 2013.

Let's say I read a commentary on a work by Tolkien (say, The Hobbit) which points out a particular theme/way to read the book. Let's say I forget that the commentary applied to The Hobbit and end up reading The Lord of the Rings through that lens. Then let's say I do some scholarly writing on the work using the insights I got from reading through the commentary's lens. Would I need to mention in some way that I obtained my insights by an accidental misapplication of that commentary?

Also, let's say that because of reading that commentary, I become super-sensitive to a certain theme and it dramatically alters the way I read anything at all. Would I need to mention said commentary in scholarly work, even though it applied to The Hobbit and I might be writing on that theme in an unrelated work (say, Sundiata)?

Thanks!

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

You need the citation if you are quoting or citing specifics from the commentary. I would not think you need a citation for everything you've ever learned, so if you learned something from the commentary, and you are applying it to a different piece, it depends entirely on how specific your reference is.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

In a scholarly work, cite all references. This includes direct quotations, paraphrasing, arguments or conclusions presented in other scholarly works, etc.

4. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I'm with Cog on this one. In Scholarly work you have to cite pretty much everything.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yup!... ditto the ditto...