1. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

How to write solo (again)

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Imaginarily, Sep 17, 2015.

(I hope I'm posting this in the right section... mods, please don't beat me up!)

So, a weird thing happened to me when I started roleplaying as my main format for creative writing -- my ability to simply write by myself, for myself, to myself, sort of vanished.

I have (in my opinion anyway) a great cache of characters with interesting backstories and premises and goals, and I've got plans for them that I desperately want to put into motion; the trouble right now is that I really only know what the main characters want to do -- who they're supposed to be interacting with and what might result from their actions are just blank mysteries.

In middle school and junior high, all I did was write -- whenever I had the chance, even in the middle of class and on family outings, I'd just pour out page after page. I was always writing. By myself.

It seems that once I discovered the ping-pong improv that is RP, though, the things I want to write can't be written by me alone anymore. It's so weird -- and frustrating, because finding a partner with whom I have much chemistry is damn near impossible these days.

A little voice in my head (perhaps my characters yelling at me) is suggesting to perhaps just lay out the plots and ideas I have for critique, get some feedback, and even if it's not writing with someone, I could at least have an audience to write for.

It might help, I dunno. What do you guys think? :bigconfused:

GingerCoffee likes this.
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Go for it. Not many of us write in teams.

3. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

You'll be just fine. :) Welcome.

Imaginarily likes this.
  4. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

Well. I don't think your writing is suffering from being alone. It sounds like you got used to creating ideas in a group environment and I say "so?"

:D Nothing happened. In the sense I don't think you lost your ability to write alone you just got used to bouncing off people. like anything I think it will just take practice to learn to bounce off yourself again :).

I ahve the reverse problem. I never written with anyone before. I am not that social so I don't know any writing friends in real life. lol.

Imaginarily likes this.