1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

coarse language as opposed to refined?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Cacian, Nov 13, 2011.

English language is alway evolving, and so more and more words come in daily.
    but when I write I have to say there are words Icall coarse I avoid like a plague.
    so I decided to 'ignore/ reject' words I do not like the sound of because they do not fit in withing the tone and the topic of my writing.
    example:

jump out/in instead come in
    tuck in instead start
    give me a shout instead of call me.
    nuck it instead of warm it
    grab it instead of take it
    up the duff instead of pregnant
    rub it in instead make it worse

all these words and expressions display a loud visual and therefore course almost vulgar.

do you have a list of words that you do not like the sound or feel they do not fit in?

2. CLM1188

CLM1188 New Member

For me I will not always replace specific words for others, but I tend to have moods about what words I prefer. For awhile I was obsessed with composing sentences filled with words that contained R, L and a hard G (The rolling river in the glorious globe of regalia.). I would literally reword my sentences if they did not have enough satisfying sounding letter/word combinations in them.

3. Cacian

Cacian Banned

that is an interesting concept.
    do you use these sounding/words letters to write say a short storie with ?