1. GoodGollieMissMollie

GoodGollieMissMollie New Member

Extra

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by GoodGollieMissMollie, Jul 15, 2009.

Hi, I'm new here and I needed some ideas for a "theme"
    I'm not looking for a real theme, that is a moral to a story or something a reader takes away from it, but a theme to base the story on.
    For example, an author writes an epic romance with a sports or music related theme.
    I have some amazing characters lined up for a story, but I need a topic conversation, I guess you can call it.
    If you understand any of this nonsense I'm babbling about:confused:, can you help me out?

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Why do you need us to tell you a topic? You know what you like and should know what would work for the characters you've created.

3. Forde

Forde New Member

I think I'd need some stricter parameters to help come up with suggestions. There must be a genre or topic which interests you and that you could use as a starting block. Are there any films or books that inspired you recently? What was it you liked about them?

Perhaps I'm not understanding you correctly!

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That's called a writing prompt. You could look at past and present Short Story Competetion themes on this site, as well as the Theme Ideas thread for the short story competitions. You could also look at things other members have written, and see if any of them spark any ideas.

You can also keep your eyes and ears open in your daily life. There are plenty of ideas everywhere.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what you need is a plot!... you seem to be asking others to give you ideas for a plot premise or concept, but that's what serious writers come up with on their own...

if your characters are that 'amazing' their very 'character' and relationship to each other should suggest plots to you... so, my advice is to not ask us, but to ask your characters what stories they have to tell, what experiences they want to have, what kind of tale they want to be dumped into...

6. architectus

architectus Banned

When it comes to themes, you should have subjects you want to share your opinions on. Themes that I enjoy: are humans worth saving? everyone is conditions but can brake free from it, causing suffering is the cause of our suffering, revenge doesn't bring peace, etc

Write what you are passionate about. Fantasy stories is an easy genre to address themes of racism and bigotry.