1. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

College...I don't know why I want to take....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Eurlo, Apr 26, 2011.

I am so fustrated over trying to figure out what to take in college that I can not think straight ...... Anyone know of a list of stuff I might could take and some info about it? Help me please..... -_-"

My interests:

Writing, animals(don't want to be the one to do the surgery but maybe a vet tech?), environment related stuff, computers(I would Like to Learn about them)

That's about it-_-"

2. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

When I applied for university I applied to do Biology (Environmental Sciences) at one place, Librarianship at another, Archaeology at another, and History and English & Creative Writing joint at a fourth. I only made up my mind when I knew my grades and everything but history and librarianship were ruled out, and I didn't want to be a librarian after all, so I went for the creative writing etc course, and it's been the best thing ever. (Taking 3 different courses at once is also mind-bendingly confusing at times :p)

However, I don't know how the application process goes in America. But if you can, just apply for everything you like, and see what happens. :) Sometimes it's only when someone tells you, "And now you're going to study computer science and work in it for the rest of your life" that you think, "No! Wait! I don't want to!"

My brother turned down about 6 universities before landing in his dream course.

3. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Does your college have a prospectus of all the courses? Have a look through them and see what stands out.

I agree with Melzaar's idea of applying for everything you like and then seeing what happens though. Or, if you can, you could do a combined course e.g. Environmental Science and Computer Science because then you could drop one of them if you dislike it later.

4. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Also, go for a college with a wide range of courses, or one that lets you take those other modules in different courses. My uni is really small and basically has a tiny humanities department and the sports people. While I like my course, I think I would have liked the option to take elective modules in all sorts of random stuff (which we have zilch choice of doing without altering our degree - they won't even let you sit in on lectures). Also, mostly getting into a university is the important part. Once you're there it's easy to transfer between courses. I know a lot of people who took a few joint modules one year, then dropped their original course. My best friend, who goes to another university, started with Spanish and Anthropology, dropped Anthropology, moved to Logic, and then dropped Spanish and took full Philosophy, and now she's taking a few physics modules on the side. :)

5. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Just FYI, if the reason you don't want to do surgeries is because you can't handle blood, urine, feces, vomit, taking care of sutures, infections (that smell so incredibly bad they stink up the whole hospital), abuse, neglect, death, animals hit by cars, horribly depressed people because their pets are sick or dying. People you want to kick in the teeth because they're the reason their animal is sick or dying and they don't care (and you can't do anything but your job). Force feeding animals because they can't or won't eat, just to get through an illness until they can. Getting bitten, scratched, jumped on, knocked over ( I had two of my molars cracked by a Saint Bernard who jumped up on me when I was leaning down = top of head, meet chin.) If ANY of that is going to upset you or traumatize you back away from the Vet Tech. I was one. They also assist in surgeries.
    Vet Assistant isn't a great job either because you'll do all the things the Tech's don't want to. Just so you know.

6. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Colleges have prerequisites and general ed requirements that all freshmen have to take. These include things like basic math classes (precalc, statistics, micro/macroeconomics, etc), basic English classes (like composition, lit, beginner's workshop), foreign language (first year of German, Spanish, French etc), sociology class etc. Find out what your college's prereqs are and take those if you don't know what else to take.

If you took AP classes in high school, then you can surely use them to cover some of your prereqs. I.e. AP English will knock out the English requirement. But chances are you'll still have some gen eds left, so start with those.

Also, make a list of the majors you think you'd be interested in. I.e. computer science, zoology, etc. Take a look at all the classes each major would entail, and read the course descriptions. Would those classes interest you, or seem like a disappointment from what you'd thought? Also, take your list in to an academic advisor, explain your interests, and maybe he/she can think of a major you hadn't thought of.

Good luck!!

7. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

I'm relly not wanting to none of thats bothers me other than seeing somthing die....

I really would like to do something with computers I am a computer addict so sitting at a compter all day is right up my ally:)

8. Trish

Not wanting to what? Not wanting to do it? Or not wanting to back away from it? I assume not wanting to do it and switching to computers instead?

9. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

yep got that right.....:)

10. Trish

Alright then :) Most people don't know what all entails, it's not playing with puppies and kittens all day. Good luck with college!

11. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

You could possibly go towards the journalistic route and your field could cover animal abuse, the enviorment, etc. There are many possibilities out there. You just have to so some research and digging to find what you really want to do. I had to do this and I plan on becoming a photojournalist because 1) I love writing; and 2) I love taking pictures.

12. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

might consider that Aimi....sounds neat:)

13. Trish

No offense, but if you can't handle death, journalism covering animal abuse is going to tear your heart to shreds. The things I've seen I'll never unsee. They don't go away. If you choose this option research thoroughly and don't think anything isn't happening in your town. I assure you it is and it will color the way you look at people, on the whole, forever.

EDIT: I'm not trying to discourage you, though I realize it may sound that way. I just want to make sure you know what you're getting into. A massive part of animal abuse is the deaths resulting from it, and you said you can't handle the death so....

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

stop agonizing over this and just take the required courses to start with... wait till your junior and senior years to focus on specific fields of study... by then, you'll have a better idea of what path/s you want to take...