1. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

Possible lost of interest in writing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Eurlo, Apr 26, 2011.

I have noticed here lately I am too busy with test coming up, job, college that I have seemed to give up on writing:( I really have no time to write any more, and the times I do I am usually not in the mood.

So what should I do?:(

2. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

Happens to me too. I spent at least 5 days with no writing, because I didn't feel like it.
    Well, I just let it be...did what I want to then waited to the feeling came back.
    It happens to most people, but it eventually comes back so don't worry :)

3. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributor Contributor

Been there. Took two years off from writing before. And now I'm back. A loss of interest doesn't mean you'll never write again. But I hope it doesn't take two years.

4. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

I hope cause my life seems dead without it:(

5. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

So ...ugh I hate to think it might be that long before I settle down with my new way of life..... I feel like crap without my book....:(

6. katnip

katnip New Member

i think everyone gets to that point every now and then. its obvious your kinda streching yourself thin. just focus on what needs to be done, relax and breathe often. maybe once all the stressers in your life stop... stressing you, you'll be back writing :D

7. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

I'm going to miss my babies(characters) :( Have any of you ever had trouble picking back up from where you left off?

8. katnip

katnip New Member

yes!!!! hhahah. i started a story on [literally] new years eve and got ummmm 380 words.
    now im stuck and have no idea where to take it

9. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

I understand where you are coming from. But please, do not give up completely. Whatever you do, do not EVER give up on writing.

I've been through this as well too, but I would NEVER give up writing if I never had time for it. I don't have time for it now really, but I'm still sticking to it and brainstorming. Don't ever give up on something you love doing (especially writing).

Time is consuming, but once you recieve that time to write, WRITE AWAY!!!

10. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

I won't give up completely
    I could never do that not after comng so far, spending sleepless nights writing, writing hours on end, and Having to kill one of my characters....not after all that pain, sweat, tears....I would never leave it behind for good...I couldn't, I promised myself and others I would prove to them That i can/will finish this book....and I will keep that promise as long as I have hands and a brain;)

11. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Good...you had me worried there for a second. Maybe some temporary time off should do you good, then next thing you know, you'll be writing again with tons of free time. XD

12. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

Heck it has obviously drained me mentally/pysically...I just want to sleep for a week straight(i just finished the 5 chapter in 4 months, not but a couple of days ago.... so i guess I'm just starting to relise How tired I really am-_-"

13. Coreen Hipae

Coreen Hipae New Member

I know exactly how you feel. I took more than 2 years off more like 5 years... I used to be a heavy text based roleplayer, and writer with tons of half finished stories. I ran into a block, a wall... I got to the point I couldn't even bring myself to write. I would feel the urge to write the stories, ideas flowed but as soon as I started I hit a wall and just couldn't even want to write. I would sit there and just say screw it I wouldn't finish ti anyway so why begin.
    I lost so much of my talent from this lack of writing which compounded the issue even more. Its something I struggle with even now. I am trying to write again but with lack of time and this issue I just don't know where to begin.

SO don't give up you don't want to end up like me haha.

14. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

I won't, I just want a break from it all for a month or so...I have killed my brain lately....

15. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

Writing is a muscle.

If you take time off of exercising what happens? You gain weight. You don't have as much energy and whatever else happens....

In order to get better at anything you have to have a routine and sometimes you have to set aside time daily to do it to keep up with getting better or at least maintain your current state.

You could set aside time every morning (early before work) or during lunch or whenever you have time...and write for ten minutes. Short periods at first. Even if it's ten minutes of you staring at a page and thinking about writing...it's better than not doing it at all.

It's essentially a mindset. You have to tell yourself what is important and set it up as important or else you won't see it as important and therefore that'll be that.

You go to work everyday whether you want to or not. Because you know if you don't you don't get paid. Do you just stay home? Why not? Because if you stay home you have a great chance of being fired...if you didn't request for it. People act like they can't do certain things, but everyday they prove they do things they don't want to do on a continuing bases. So why not do what you know you love to do on a daily bases even if it's not in that great love right now?

16. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

Thanks, I won't stray far from writing...

17. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

I agree somewhat with J Jammer. Not that most of our writing is "inspired" at the time, but one of the reasons I pounded out a novel (not that much of it makes any snse) is because I followed the "BIC" advice. Sometimes all you have to do is get your butt in the the chair. (Hence, BIC.) Even if you're playing around a bit on the Internet to get yourself started, or even posting a blog here on the forum, you'll end up with at least a paragraph or so by the time you get done. The hard part for me is squeezing in chair time when I have a full-time job and a 2-year-old at home. I wait until I have a vacation and then I sit down and just keep writing until I get something done. Waiting is fine, but if you have BIC time that works for you better than mine, you shouldn't just go about your business and let your writing stagnate. Unless, of course, you've nowhere to go in your story. If you're stuck, then you need to think about why and sometimes time can help you figure out how to fix it.

18. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

Heck even now I think about it I might go talk With Eurlo today;) See if his mind can inspire me or solve this for me...he has done that before(solving a problem I had) he is quite smart for somebody who doesn't exsist in real life;) (I sometimes find myself talking to him over stuff regarding my book...Idk why but it seems to help:))

19. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

I am part of two writing groups. They help a lot. A LOT. It's great to speak to people about your writing face to face. It helps inspire a lot.

20. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

You might have just blown yourself out, then just go away and stop worrying and do other things - or you might just not have a routine. if it's something you love you'll keep going back to it.

21. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

Yep and my life is changing so it ha been pushed to the side for now:)