Tags:
  1. SlowToShow

SlowToShow Member

Grammar Combing words in APA format?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by SlowToShow, Mar 9, 2018.

My anthropology professor said that our format doesn't combine words like 'will not --> won't' but now I need APA. And I can't find the answer through using my GoogleFu. Does APA format require all words to be separate?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

And I quote: http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2015/12/contractions-in-formal-writing-whats-allowed-whats-not.html

Contractions are a part of informal writing. Thus, avoid contractions in scholarly writing, except for under the following circumstances:
    • If you are reproducing a direct quotation that contains a contraction (e.g., a quotation from a research participant), leave the contraction as-is.
    • If you are writing about contractions (e.g., in a paper about language), naturally you must be able to use contractions as linguistic examples.
    • If you are reproducing an idiom that contains a contraction (e.g., “don’t count your chickens before they hatch”), leave the contraction (no need for “do not count your chickens…”).
    • If you are making an off-the-cuff or informal remark within an otherwise formal paper, it is okay to use a contraction as part of your writing voice. You might find this kind of remark in a footnote or a parenthetical statement. Scientific writing should be formal but it doesn’t have to be stuffy. It is okay to have a moment of informality as long as the overall tone is appropriately formal.