Tags:
  1. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Contributor Contributor

Comics

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LoaDyron, Dec 12, 2018.

Hey everyone, :superhello:

Let's see if we can find some comic readers on the forúm. Tell on this post one comic you enjoyed reading. Personally, I will choose no doubt The Sandman from Nail Gaiman. I liked the adventure that The Dream Lord had gone through to recover what he had missed. I will recommend this comic to anyone who is interested.

Bone2pick likes this.
  2. LadyErica

LadyErica Active Member

When I grew up, I was a big fan of He-Man & The Masters of the Universe. (Fun fact: It was aimed at boys, but around 20% of the customers were girls. Because of that, they made a second toyline aimed a girls, and She-Ra: Princess of Power was born.) ;) I've also always been a fan of the DC Comics, like Superman. Not so much Batman, and he's freaking everywhere. So tired of him.

But anyway, Netherrealm made a video game where Superman turned evil, and DC turned it into a pretty decent comic book. A sequel to the video game was released, complete with its own comics.

And now? Superman is pretty much incinvible, and rules the world with an iron fist. Batman & Co still tries to fight back, but they know they can't do it on their own. So what to do? Simple. Go to Eternia, recruit He-Man & Co, and have them help defeat Superman. And yes, that is as awesome as it sounds. Not only is He-Man back (yay!), but it's a hell of a lot more mature than the comics in the 1980s (double yay!), and it fits right in with the surprisingly awesome Injustice comics (triple yay!) (in case you didn't know, He-Man's mom is actually from Earth). Well recommended for fans of DC, He-Man or both. Just keep in mind this is not your usual Superman-story. We're talking a story where the Joker tricked Superman to kill a pregnant Lois Lane, Metropolis got nuked, and Superman slowly went bats*** crazy and started killing people in cold blood. But hey, He-Man is here now. :D

Bone2pick likes this.
  3. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Not a huge comic/graphic novel fan, but the few I really enjoyed are: Tank Girl, Night of the Living Deadpool, Superman: Red Son, Old Man Logan, and Berserk. Tank Girl was really the only one I read with any frequency when I was a kid and I have no idea why. I still enjoy it now, but for reasons my younger self could hope to comprehend.

Some Guy likes this.
  4. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Archie, Jughead, and the whole Riverdale gang. Casper the Friendly Ghost and Richie Rich. Superman, Batman and The Green Lantern.

5. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Heh.

Old school: Battle, Warlord, Action, Whoopee, Beano & Victor. NOT 2000AD

[Captain America and Batman? - but I can't remember the titles]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Some Guy likes this.
  6. LadyErica

LadyErica Active Member

Not a huge fan of Archie myself, but I did love the crossover Arche vs Predator. Yes, this actually exist. And it's bloody amazing. Literally, it's absurd bloody at times. And amazing. :D:D:D

Some Guy likes this.
  7. Bone2pick

Bone2pick Conspicuously Conventional Contributor

I consider myself a full-on comics fanboy, specifically for the superhero material. Some of my favorite books/runs are Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, Jeff Loeb's Hulk Gray, Scott Snyder's Court of Owls, Brubaker's Captain America run, and Geoff John's Green Lantern run.

But the best comic I've ever read, and the one that I reread the most, is Morrison's All-Star Superman. That book hits me with the same level of emotional satisfaction that a great novel does.

8. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

The only comic book series I've read from beginning to end was, Maus, by Art Spiegelman, and Dave Sim's Cerebus.

I've never had any desire to read superhero comics. For the life of me, I don't know what the attraction is.

9. Artifacs

Artifacs Senior Member

(1) Gantz (Sci-Fi Manga)
    (2) Alan Moore (All his work)
    (3) Akira (Sci-Fi Manga & Movie)
    (4) Some Graphic novel I don't remember the name about a bunch of superheroes that protect the earth and in the end of the series build a Time Machine. The moment they turn that thing on, a lot of Future selves of them appeared out the blue to pay them a visit. (The very first moment the Time Machine is turned on is the oldest date that future traveler can visit)
    (5) Creepy Comics was also good.

Bone2pick likes this.
  10. 18-Till-I-Die

18-Till-I-Die Banned

I used to ADORE comics when I was a kid, I grew up in the "Grim And Gritty" era of comics and while a lot of people criticize that era because it was "too dark" and the characters were "too violent" or whatever, I genuinely fell in love with Rob Liefeld the first time I saw a Youngblood comic. But to be honest, my favorite character has always been and remains The Incredible Hulk.

I read "War and Pieces Part One", which was part of the three-part story arc, and I just was blown away. I remember my grandmother and grandfather used to go to this local store called Perry's Drugs and I saw this comic on a spinner rack with a bunch of other comics and I just fell in love. I honestly read comics for almost twenty years straight after that--until the more recent downturn in quality--but yeah I FUCKING ADORE that era of comic books. Christ I miss the 90's...

If you asked me to list some of my favorites, obviously War and Pieces would be up there but also Youngblood by Rob Liefeld, Jim Lee's WildC.A.T.S. and the Incredible Hulk and Punisher comics from the 90's.

11. Raven484

Raven484 Contributor Contributor

I always loved the Fantastic Four. Spider-Man and The Avengers are 2&3.

12. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

- Asterix
    - Mustat sivut by Franquin. (Idees Noires? Dark Thoughts?)
    - Calvin & Hobbbes!
    - Viivi and Wagner
    - Mämmilä
    - Dilbert
    - Tarkastaja Ankardo by Sokal. (Canard? Inspector Canardo?)
    - Charlie Brown by Schulz!
    - Donald Duck (Carl Barks -stories)
    - Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers by Shelton
    - Some Robert Crumb -stories
    - Baby Blues by Kirkman & Scott
    - Valerian and Laureline by Christin & Mezieres
    - Mafalda by Lavado
    - And I don't know the name or writer of this with ball-flag -characters, but this...

https://media.riemurasia.net/albumit/mmedia/42/pz/ijh/441785/normal_1397871603.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Artifacs likes this.
  13. ugly henry

ugly henry Member

As a kid I collected comic books (1972-75) DC, Marvel and some Archies etc. Collected for many years, ended up selling it all because muh bills. Still have some, mainly Teen Titans from that time. Those characters are virtually unrecognizable today.