Tags:
  1. Adam Bolander

Adam Bolander Senior Member

Secret Code?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Adam Bolander, Jul 23, 2020.

I just made up a secret code that I'm thinking about using in one of my stories, but I want to make sure that it's not too difficult to figure out. Here is the key and a message written in it. Can you solve it?

RDJ, TLP, PSA, TAW, MNG, PLM, AAR, IDA, VIE, YYM, TEK, ERI, VVQ, GOG, XZR, JKJ, ZAD, BPP, RNS, FLU, GNA, YQH, UUL, TIW, QQQ, FAC

PSAXZRGOGAARBPPRDJFLUGNAERIRDJFLUVIEXZRGOGRNS XZRGOG RNSXZRERIYQHVIEGOGAAR VVQQQQ PSAXZRTAWMNG! AARVIEYQHMNG QQQXZRGNABPPMNGERIPLM RDJ JKJRDJFLU XZRGOG FLUIDAMNG TLPRDJPSATEK, RDJGOGTAW RNSVVQMNGRDJBPP JKJMNGRDJGOGGNAFLU TLPGNAFLUFLUMNGBPP XZRGOG QQQXZRGNABPP PLMRDJYQHXZRBPPVIEFLUMNG IDAXZRGNARNSMNGJKJERIRDJGOGFLU FLUXZR VVQRDJTEKMNG RDJERIERI QQQXZRGNABPP UULVIERNSIDAMNGRNS PSAXZRVVQMNG FLUBPPGNAMNG. VVQQQQ TAWXZRAAR’RNS GOGRDJVVQMNG VIERNS TLPGNAFLUFLUIDAXZRERIMNG. GOGXZRFLU BPPMNGRDJERIERIQQQ. QQQMNGRNS, VIE’VVQ YYMGNARNSFLU FLUBPPQQQVIEGOG FLUXZR PSAXZRGOGPLMGNARNSMNG QQQXZRGNA GOGXZRUUL. FLUIDARDJGOGTEKRNS PLMXZRBPP JKJERIRDJQQQVIEGOGAAR! VIE’VVQ AARXZRVIEGOGAAR FLUXZR FLURDJTEKMNG RDJ GOGRDJJKJ…

Steve Rivers likes this.
  2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Careful, you might summon Cthulhu...

And I don't get how that's a key, but I'm not well-versed in decoding code.

Edit—ok, I understand now. Yes, I'm sure I could decipher it if I was willing to put in the work. Maybe someday if I'm really bored.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    Adam Bolander likes this.
  3. Adam Bolander

Figuring out how the key works is part of the puzzle. I don't want to give a hint just yet. I want to see if anyone can piece it together.

4. Xoic

I added to my post above—I did figure it out and almost gave it away, but I'll leave it at that. Hope I didn't say too much.

I removed the hint in my previous post. Let's see if people can figure it out.

The thing is though, I'd have to sit down with pencil and paper and write it all out to figure it out. I doubt any reader would be willing to do that.

5. Adam Bolander

I'm still playing around with the idea of doing a choose your own adventure style book. I wouldn't use this in a regular novel.
    EDIT: I would have the coded message somewhere at the beginning of the book, and the key mixed in somewhere in the story. Figuring it out would give the reader directions to a secret hidden ending.

Xoic likes this.
  6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The first word is congratulations.

Yes, it's decipherable.

7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Yeah. Took less than a minute to figure the key out.

8. Xoic

Nobody doubted you'd be able to do it @Wreybies —That's like asking Michael Jordan "Is this shot doable, do ya think?"

Wreybies and Adam Bolander like this.
  9. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The key is, well... the key! That's where one's focus must go.

@Adam Bolander : If you want the reader to be able to suss it out without too much frustration, leave it as is. If you want to make it a little harder to initially parse, eliminate the spaces and assign a three letter code for punctuation marks as well.

ETA: As is, the spaces and plain punctuation make for a "Wheel of Fortune" effect where we are able to guess words just from size and shape. A couple of correct guesses will quickly lead to predictable syntax and at that point the whole thing unfolds. Losing the spaces gets rid of a particular kind of guesswork and the predictions that come subsequent. Giving the punctuation its own code gets rid of the 26 choices, obscuring their nature, which clearly aligns to the letters of the alphabet.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    Xoic, Adam Bolander and Steerpike like this.
  10. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

That would certainly do it.

11. Xoic

Yeah, that's how I figured it out. I was the first one to 'get it', but I removed the information because I didn't want to give it away.

12. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

Not hard to figure out but you do have to be sober. My mistake. The code is really a little long to be practical how long would it take to actually write something in that code.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  13. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Took me about 20 seconds to figure out what the cipher is, although that was helped by the fact that you provided the keys. I couldn't be be bothered to decrypt the message though.

FLUXZRXZR MNGRDARNSQQQ

14. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

You know what would make it a bit less obvious, but still make it decipherable? If you reversed the alphabet key so it went from Z-A instead of A-Z. The moment you count 26 letters in the key it's too obvious (imo). That way, people will have that one extra layer of "Huh, I counted 26 and it didn't work, what am i missing?"

15. Samlet

Samlet Active Member

Name is Butthole, apparently. I've been called worse. Today, in fact.

16. Adam Bolander

Close. "My dog's name is Butthole. Not really."

Samlet likes this.
  17. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

This is one of the easier ciphers I've solved. Without your key, it probably would have thrown me off for a bit, but I might have figured it out, eventually. So it's not overtly simple where someone wouldn't have to spend any time on it, but not so difficult that a person spending time with very little experience with ciphers wouldn't figure it out.

18. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

I like The Cypher. Because, it's not much in the Cipher and the average person will be able to figure it out. Introducing just a little tease like that could be quite effective in the story.

19. Dalantri

Dalantri Member

Yes, that would make it more challenging. Depending on the genre, story, and audience, your code works. I will say that I can personally appreciate the effort to create a code like this.