Common things that are intentionally wrong?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by King Arthur, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

One thing I comment on a lot in beta reading... TV makes it look WAY easier than it is to
    a) knock someone out with chloroform (which I believe takes like 3-5 minutes of inhalation?)
    b) knock someone out with blunt force
    c) strangle someone

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I guess it's not strangling as such, but with the rear-naked choke you can knock someone out cold pretty effectively if you get your arms and hands in the right place and know what you're doing. On TV they do it "wrong" for a good reason, I think. The result is the same but their hands, arms and body are not positioned correctly, but I believe it'd be too dangerous to let actors RNC each other willy-nilly.

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Well, I'm glad the naptime has been ditched. However, when I was in kindergarten, back in the dim dark past (1954-55), we certainly were required to pretend to take a nap. We all had to bring a rug to class and leave it there. Mine was pretty cool It was a cotton shag rug that was green, like grass. But I never ever actually fell asleep.

We didn't have pre-school. At all. You started school with kindergarten when you were 5 years old, or could get an exemption and start if you were 4 years old when the school year began, but would turn 5 before the end of the calendar year.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    Catrin Lewis likes this.
  4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

When I was in kindergarten (1966ish), we had to bring a blanket and leave it at school, too. It was for "quiet time" - they didn't call it nap time, and I didn't sleep, but I bet the teachers did! ;)

jannert likes this.
  5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I remember our teacher used to sit and keep an eye on us. Anybody who dared to speak to somebody else got reprimanded. It certainly was a quiet time. But sleep? I don't know if anybody did.

6. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

We played sleeping lions in my preschool and in my afterschool care in primary. But only when they were bored of us. :p

jannert likes this.
  7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I cannot believe I forgot my biggest pet peeve of all:

Security Clearances!

I can only speak for the U.S. in this, but whenever you hear someone in a film or book mentioned that someone has a security clearance higher than Top Secret... I die little inside. It's bullshit. There is no such thing. There are three clearances: Confidential, Secret, and Top Secret. The first two are usually used in civilian venues, are actually rarely used and are almost never found in military settings. In the military, if you have a security clearance it's almost always a Top Secret clearance. I never ran into anyone with less than that in my career in Military Intelligence, and the reason is simple: secure information is always housed in a SCIF (Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility). a SCIF can be just a storage facility for information or it can be a facility wherein secure information is gathered, used, handled, worked with, whatever. I worked in SCIFs my whole career in the military. The reason the lower clearances are as rare as unicorns is that where there's Confidential information, there's going to be Top Secret information, and if there's Top Secret info in there, you can't go in there with just a Confidential clearance.

The reason there is no higher clearance than Top Secret is, boringly enough, because there is no need for such a thing. You've been cleared as not posing a foreseeable risk to compromising sensitive information. There's nothing else to clear. Once you have that, everything else is simply compartmentalization, a.k.a need to know. In the SCIF's wherein I worked, your badge either did or did not open doors to which you had access depending on your need to know.

Seriously. That's it. It sounds neat-o and James Bond-ie to make up arcane clearances with over-worked, "awesome sounding" names, but they simply don't exist, because, again, there just isn't a reason for them. It would be an unnecessary, confusing dynamic that serves no purpose.

Top Secret. That's it. If your dad or uncle or friend insists there's something higher, either humor them or call them on that bullshit. It's not true.

Shadowfax and Oscar Leigh like this.
  8. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

Oh sure ... You've seen plenty of Top Secret level things. However, you aren't even allowed to know about the Ultra Top Secret level even existing. That's where they keep the aliens, engines that run on water, zombie viruses, the real Zapruder film, Obama's birth certificate and Clinton's little black book.

9. minstrel

Oh, my lad, you are so naive. This only applies to the military, which, let's face it, has a pretty simple-minded approach to security. ;)

Other organizations have FAR tighter security! For example, Scientology. In ascending order, they have Rookies, Adepts, Prestidigitators, Squires, Queen Bees, Wombats, Tom Cruises, and Dead L. Ron Hubbards. Only one person has achieved the clearance level of Tom Cruise, and that's Tom Cruise (I hope I'm not revealing any super-secrets here). To achieve the level of Dead L. Ron Hubbard, you have to be dead. Many Scientologists are lining up for this honor. When they're dead, they will be privy to the most secret secrets of Scientology. :D

KaTrian, GingerCoffee and Wreybies like this.
  10. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

The firework display when welding.
    The sparks when welding is usually provoked more by putting rust into the mix. There's usually not that much sparks for a typical welding job. Movies just like the effect.

11. Wreybies

Oh, and I forgot: Absolutely no one is ever cleared for secure access by simple dint of the general or colonel or whoever giving an "okay nod" of his leathered, war weary head. No.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  12. minstrel

Of course they are. But you wouldn't know that because you don't have high enough clearance. I do, so I'm honor-bound not to reveal these facts to anyone. That's why I'm only posting them here on the Internet. :p

Catrin Lewis and GingerCoffee like this.
  13. doggiedude

How about when people run into a room, flip on a TV and there just happens to be a news report talking about the very thing they happen to be interested in. Or people overhearing the exact right part of a conversation as soon as they start listening.

GingerCoffee and Oscar Leigh like this.
  14. Wreybies

Sadly, this is always the glaring hole in the story for me whenever Discovery Channel runs some show about the military keeping aliens hidden away. Believe me, man, no one wants that story to be true more than me. I've had a bag packed since I was a kid to take off with the aliens into outer space, but... The story always seems to include some aging, used-to-be airman who tells his story about how his flight or squadron was mobilized to deal with the downed alien craft in the dead of night. Said airman never comes from a unit that would include cleared personnel. That's where the story falls apart for me. That's not the Air Force I worked for. When Desert Storm started, airmen from my unit in Berlin were pulled for a TDY in-theater to set up and run equipment with which we were familiar and already had need to know as regards access. There were already airmen in-theater with clearances, but they didn't have need to know, and you don't just dole that out willy-nilly. A group of random, uncleared airmen would NEVER be tapped to go deal with something like a downed alien spacecraft.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  15. doggiedude

So you ADMIT that there would be certain people already cleared for alien contact! (He said with sarcastic vigour.)
    Why are these groups already prepared for the invasion? What does the government really know?? And where do all those missing socks I put in the dryer go?
    WE WANT TO KNOW!

GingerCoffee and Oscar Leigh like this.
  16. Wreybies

I admit that there are already plenty of people in the USAF who have clearances, period. It would be from this already existing group that a need-to-know group would be assembled. The USAF doesn't just pluck up the closest random group of airmen. ;)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  17. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

A fight. The choreographed punches. The punched more hurt than the punchee. No sloppy clawing or grabbing or dirty moves.
    As a woman I'd be less likely to punch someone even if I had training. I'd never feel too sure that I could deliver a good enough punch. I'd grab the nearest item - garbage can - and go donkey kong on his ass.

GingerCoffee and Wreybies like this.
  18. Wreybies

Add to that the oh-so-easy neck-snap, sure to kill any baddie.

peachalulu likes this.
  19. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

This is assuming the actors had shields, and used them :p neither is a given!

Since being told Vikings wore normal helmets, ones without horns, I am forever bothered any time I see a horned Viking on TV.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  20. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

You must be watching much more realistic shows than me. Women never feel pain or bleed when they have sex on TV!

As for women lying on their backs - it's pretty common. What's unrealistic isn't that - what's unrealistic is how fast it all happens! Oh she's in labour and already screaming the next second and the baby's here about 2-3 hours later, and it's a first birth! (second stage of labour, when you start counting the hours, took me 5-6 hours. If you count from the first moment I felt contractions, it started at 11.30pm the night before! The baby only came out at noon the next day!)

Oh, and how clean it all is. Labour's not a clean process in the slightest. Not that you care though when you're at it.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  21. Oscar Leigh

Apparently, there's only bleeding if someone did something wrong. (Usually the guy's fault)

Mckk likes this.
  22. PassTheDrinks

PassTheDrinks New Member

I remember watching Seed Of Chucky, part of the Child's Play movies. At the beginning, the doll pulls a knife out of a cake and it makes the metal on metal sound. I immediately was confused as to why a cake would be metal as it would not actually make that sound.

This post just reminded me of this so I had to contribute to it.

23. Tenderiser

In sex? No. There's likely to be bleeding if the hymen is torn, but many women don't have a hymen when they have sex for the first time.

24. Oscar Leigh

So what about that video I posted earlier?

25. Tenderiser

Dunno, I didn't watch it. I have an incredibly low attention span for videos. Prefer words :D