Common things that are intentionally wrong?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by King Arthur, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Well, in it this woman explains how apparently, having sex with an intact hymen only results in pain if it's done clumsily. She compared it to a balloon arch, where the marching band going under only screw things up if they suck. Apparently it doesn't even necessarily break the first time you have sex; some experienced sex workers have intact hymens.
    Really, vaginas are weird and freaky. I don't intend to even get a good look at one. :blech:

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Nothing I've read supports her first argument, but the second is true. Not likely, but possible.

It's probably not wise to refer to half the population's anatomy as weird and freaky. Just saying. ;)

GingerCoffee and Cave Troll like this.
  3. Oscar Leigh

It's not an insult. I can kind of imagine liking one, I guess, I just find it very unnappealing myself. I also think there's a distinct advantage in having only one sex organ you have to understand. And what's to understand about a dick? There's no weird hymen that half the world doesn't even get.

4. Ben414

Ben414 Contributor Contributor

Bad guy gets shot --> dies in two seconds

5. Oscar Leigh

Well, you could argue they just don't show the spluttering and twitching on the ground as they fade completely. I think that's not too bad.

6. GrandJury

GrandJury Member

When the MC of a show or movie loses consciousness from a blow to the head, and wakes up captured, but in generally good health. There might be a little bump on his head, but nothing at all too serious. The stage is set for a daring escape/fighting scene.

In reality, losing consciousness from a head injury is medically significant.

With any blow to the head, there is a chance of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). In most cases a TBI requires immediate and professional medical intervention to save someone's life. Sometimes, you may be killed outright. In the case of a TBI, the loss of consciousness means that you have jarred the brain hard enough to force it to shut down unnecessary functions (consciousness). If the person doesn't wake up in a few minutes, they may not wake up ever again.

It's definitely something you just shake off! :D

KaTrian likes this.
  7. Oscar Leigh

But how high is the chance of a TBI? All the bad stuff you say relates to the TBI. If it's a small chance then what you see in movies is potentially quite accurate.

8. GrandJury

GrandJury Member

If you've lost consciousness to a hard strike, you have a TBI, some form of it atleast.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  9. Initiate Jenny

Initiate Jenny New Member

i dont like how explosions look/act in space, according to movies.
    im no scientist but i know that space is a vacuum. there is no air for a giant cloudy ring of fire to form, and no gas for sound to travel through.
    [​IMG]
    (wow sorry its a little big^)

matwoolf and Oscar Leigh like this.
  10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Action characters that never get fatigued or lose stamina. Not every protagonist bad-ass is freaking able to beat the crap out of a bar full of guys, not unless he has some magic potion that is never mentioned.

I have for lack of better wording, a middle aged Military bad ass. Dude gets tired from delivering beat downs, to enemy soldiers and annoying locked doors. Even if he was in his 20s or 30s he would still get tired after awhile of the strenuous activities. Even roaming around installations in search and destroy mode, will have him sweating.

Not like the young beat cop who can chase a guy for 100 blocks, and not even break a sweat.

Point is unless your character(s) are freaking super powered, tone down their OP to a more realistic level. Humans get tired, don't believe me go run 100 blocks and then come and tell me you ain't tired. :p

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  11. Oscar Leigh

That's one of the things I like about the Daredevil show. The fight scenes have substantial wound and tiredness elements. There's a sense of people breaking down. The fight scenes are one of the most praised aspects.

12. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

We still had naptime through 2nd grade in my elementary school. My third-best friend and I still sucked our thumbs and we did it clandestinely under the cover of our coats, which we were permitted to pull over ourselves in the winter time. She and I would place the empty coat sleeves end to end and whisper through them. It's a wonder our teacher didn't notice what we were up to and make us stop.

Maybe she was asleep, too. Or too busy playing cowboy song records. "Driftin' along with the tumble-in' tumbleweeds . . . "

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Bad guy gets shot, doesn't even slow down with the kinetic energy of a .45 slug hitting him, just keeps on going and beats the crap out of good guy, not dying until - conveniently - hero is about to fade away.
    That was one good thing about Raiders of the Lost Ark, where Indie's been doing awesome stuff with his whip, and then comes across this sword-wielding native. So he just pulls a weary face and pulls his revolver. However, the way I heard it was that Harrison Ford had diarrhoea and improvised it as a way to get off set PDQ!

14. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

I stopped taking Spielberg seriously after this movie, not just because of all the things he got wrong, but because he broke one of the basic rules of storytelling.

At the beginning, in the cemetery, we zoom in on the old guy's eyes. This always means we're now going to see the story from his point of view. Cross-fade to Tom Hanks' eyes on the beach. Okay. We're going to see what happened to this old guy when he stormed the beaches of Normandy.

But at the end, we realize the old guy is not Tom Hanks' character. It's the guy he saved, Private Ryan. When I saw that, I screamed out loud in the theatre. I couldn't believe Spielberg had broken this sacred trust and conned us all.

Bad filmmaker. Bad. Down boy. (where's my rolled-up newspaper?)

15. Oscar Leigh

He's secretly a huge troll. :p

16. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

Well, that explains it. LOL

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  17. Oscar Leigh

Oh, and on this subject, I did a blog post about something that I think fits here. If people want to read my whole rant, it's called "Sense of Location Anyone?" and is the most recent I've made.
    But it's about when characters are talking secret things in a location where random others could accidentally, or intentionally, hear them. And it PISSES ME OFF!!

18. Justin Phillips

Justin Phillips Active Member

I read it as : In erectile dysfunction scenes, they have staff wearing goggles without mouth and nose covers. What's the point?

hehe.

Hate hate hate this one. I DON'T understand why they can't use an accent that is geologically acceptable, or just use the original language and let us read subtitles

They don't do that anymore? My favorite time of the day was naptime in kindergarten. My parents were obligated to buy me a sleeping mat, among other things like drinking cups and Kleenexes

I swear I've achieved this several times in GTA games, that makes it physically possible, right?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ok mine is how incredibly easy it is to knock someone out by breaking a vase on the back of their head or a punch to the face. And then in the same episode, the hero gets the crap beaten out of them, several times in the face, and just keeps on keeping on.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    Oscar Leigh and doggiedude like this.
  19. Oscar Leigh

:superlaugh::superlaugh: Well done sir.

20. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

While this bugs me as well, I can kind of understand it 'cause we don't apply the same demands on books, so why on movies? As an example, in Nalo Hopkinson's The Salt Roads, the stories take place in the Caribbean, in Alexandria and Jerusalem, and in 19th century Paris. It's all written in English and that's perfectly acceptable. I just imagine the dialogue is in French/Greek/Aramaic/Creole/Hebrew depending on the location and the characters. Similarly, an American film that tells a story of, I don't know, Joan of Arc, can be acted in English, in my opinion. It's not the same, but I think it's acceptable. It'd be more grating if everyone had a French accent, tbh.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  21. Oscar Leigh

Especially since it might turn out like Vikings and they didn't get very good accent training.

22. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    @Shadowfax Actually he got pretty tired at the end of The Last Crusade as well. But the part you are talking about, Harrison Ford was sick on set and came up with that on the spot in that scene. :p

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  23. Justin Phillips

They could easily do a modified French accent that doesn't sound so blatantly British. When I read books that are set in other countries (not that I really do actually, but just hypothetically) it's understood that it is an English translation of what they are actually speaking. Obviously I can't read Arabic or French or whatever. But in film there's not that same barrier.

I do agree that Joan of Arc can be acted in English. It's widely accepted, but that's kind of the point of this thread, things that are widely excepted, but wrong. At least its within the latin language structure, unlike middle eastern speaking English, Chinese, Japanese whatever. I guess the biggest offender is when a hero goes to a foreign country, and everyone just magically speaks English. it's a big difference than an entire movie designed to be told in English.

24. Justin Phillips

I swear I can only delete posts on my phone for some reason.

will work on that now. nope can't do it. oh well the word's out there if a mod wants to delete.

25. Oscar Leigh

I don't think it counts. It's just making it accessible. It's understood the characters are French. It's not like depicting a weird car flip, where there's no indication or rule that it is incorrect. You have to guess if the makers are being realistic. Which means when you do clearly untrue things your kind of teaching people the wrong thing.