1. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

"blog writing"

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by lipton_lover, Jan 21, 2009.

I've started a blog which you can find the link to in my signature if you're interested in it. My philosophy in writing it is that it's written to an audience, but for me. I'm writing it because my personal memories are something I want to keep forever and this is my way of doing it. They'll be pretty safe on the internet. But it'd be nice to have an audience too. Is there a particular style of writing I should use to make something completely irrelevant to the reader interesting, or do I just have to trust that if I'm a good writer, people will want to read it? Should I focus more on description than usual, or focus on the point of the memory?
    Thanks, Nate

2. Jack

Jack New Member

I like your blog!

I think everything should remain the same...
    The purpose of a blog is to express themselves. Unless you would want to impress other people, then I suggest you talk to them about it.

3. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

Ok thanks. If you don't mind giving feedback though, is it the sort of thing that you would care to subscribe to? Does anyone want to know that I used to take walks with my family? It's kind of a pointless question in that I'm not going to exclude anything because others find it boring, but I'm still curious.
    Thanks, Nate

4. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

I started a blog as well. The link is in my signature. Only click on the second link the other I am reworking. Be true to yourself, that is the best thing I can say.

A blog is what you make it and if this one is about your memories then write it how you feel it needs to be written.

Some people make there blogs into editorials and they read like news papers. That is what they choose. Yours reads more like a journal open for the worl. Leave it that way.

5. EmmVeePi

EmmVeePi New Member

I think an important thing is write off the cuff. That is pretty much my policy in most writing but especially with a blog. A blog as you know is short for weblog, it is not a novel, it is meant to be shot from the hip. Dont worry too much about "Getting it right" you will come off insincere just worry about getting your point across.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

EmmVeePi, I'd say that is a matter of persoinal preference. Some people would rather compose their blog like an editorial column, and who is to say that's any less valid than your extemporaneous approach.

If there is anything that is important, I'd say consistency matters more than whether the style is spontaneous and conversational, or more editorial in tone.

Either way, it is your blog voice.

7. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

Ok thanks guys :)
    Nate