1. Silver. Fox

Silver. Fox New Member

So...about these character additions... -Story issue-

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Silver. Fox, Jan 2, 2012.

So, I’ve been thinking about it for a while, and I decided to add two new characters to my latest work a while back.
    The addition of two new characters seemed like a good idea, because they do the following:
    >They solidify the ending of the story, allowing the main character to “save the day”
    >They create conflict between 2+ characters
    >They resolve conflict between 2 characters~ (Probably the biggest thing)
    >They resolve conflict between 2 characters [A second time]

After thinking about it…and writing the chapter than introduces them…I’ve realized the characters also:
    >Create inconsistencies with the ending of the story.
    >Take away the usefulness of the main character at the end of the story.
    >Create some “lol” in the story, the two characters make sense, being added and all, but think of it like this: You’re reading Eragon and about ½ way through the book another dragon finds Eragon and explains a semi-complicated story about how Eragon is special and has two dragons instead of just one…then proceeds to tell a semi-unbelievable story about how he was able to stay alive and unnoticed for centuries. Bottom line, it’d make you say “yeah…right.”

At any rate, what are y'all thinking about this and the two characters?
    Keep em or leave em, they help the plot and move it along, but at the same time, they're kinda useless and take away from it...

[If this thread is in the wrong forum, could a mod please lock it down or move it? I haven't used this site for too long, but on other forums mods have the power to do such and such]

2. highwaymanlee

highwaymanlee Active Member

well i think you should not put in those charaters in the story. especally if they take away from the story or make it unbelieveable.
    if you want to put them in there you should put themm in toward the begianing,even if you just intruduce them and then have them leave till you need them.

3. louis1

louis1 Member

maybe make these two character the same person.
    as said above, introduce them earlier.

and: what kind of inconsistencies do they create with the end of the story ?

4. Party Poison

Party Poison New Member

Depends on if the cause is greater than the risk. If it is, go with these two characters. If not, don't.

5. Silver. Fox

Silver. Fox New Member

Well, I'm writing 2 versions of my chapter 16, (the chapter where the two characters come out and introduce themselves,) but after some thinking, I probably won't add them =/
    [I'll think of a way to add them in earlier, but thinking about it, it's probably a better idea to not add them at all, I don't really need them...but they're pretty cool characters to have around haha]

Well here's an example.
    The bad guy, X, has a weapon powerful enough to destroy the world, he's ONLY powerful BECAUSE HE HAS THE WEAPON.
    The main character, Y, is the only person left who has the will to stop X.

Without the two characters (We'll say that they're the weapon)
    Y has to stop an unstoppable force, X

With the two characters (who have a free will of their own)
    Y has the unstoppable weapon.

With the two characters, (the main character becomes overly powerful/the main villain becomes too weak to even be a challenge). Without the two characters, the main character has to find a way to defeat a near unstoppable force.

I'm sure there's a way I can add the two characters AND make the final fight one to be remembered, but the way I'm thinking about now would sound even more farfetched than usual. Like...someone giving you a million dollars because they were tired of having money...yeah...that farfetched...okay...maybe not that bad, but pretty bad.