1. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Concerning singing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Marcelo, Mar 23, 2009.

Hey guys! If you have noticed I havnt been around for a while, it is because I've been to occupied learning how to play guitar and playing the keyboard. I'm getting conseiderably good at this, but there's something I still want to learn: singing. I admire simple songs with an acoustic guitar accompanied by vocals, which artists such as John Mayer, Jason Mraz, Jack Johnson and Eagle-Eye Cherry often do. This is the style I love, so I've been thinking on learning how to sing. I have a question, though.

Is singing born with or can it be learned?

2. Aeroflot

Aeroflot New Member

It can be learned, of course. But there are those who are naturally able to hit the correct pitches without training, as there are those who are tone deaf.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

With training, you can learn to sing in pitch. Training also helps develop range. The only thing out a singer's control is voice quality. Although voice quality can be developed to a certain point, some people are born with beautiful sounding voices (but that doesn't mean they can sing in pitch).

4. Benska

Benska New Member

Heh, I also love this style of music. I, too, play keyboard and guitar... and (try to) sing.

Anyway, as the others said, you can learn to sing very well with lots of hard work and voice training, regardless of whether or not you have "natural talent." A lot of professional singers weren't naturally talented. I can't think of any examples, but I know there are atleast a few well known ones.

Even just singing a lot, and doing a few exercises and the like each day will gain you a considerably better voice than the average joe... well in most cases, some particularly bad people will need years of voice training to get anywhere.

5. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

It can be learnt. The more you practise, the better you get.

Well of course you can get into people's nerve too practising a lot..lol

6. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    I'm certain everyone who is a good singer has to practice at it. And even if you are a bad singer, practice can only make you better.

I would know, I fall into the "bad but practicing" category!

7. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I have a friend who is working on recording a CD. Like you, she plays the guitar (not the keyboard, tho...) and she sings. When I first met her, she kicked butt at the guitar but couldn't sing on pitch to save her life. Since then, however, she has taken voice lessons and worked hard to improve, and the last time I heard her sing, I could hardly believe it was the same person.

So rest assured, there is hope for anyone. Even if you haven't been born with a gift for singing, you can still learn. :) It just takes a little more effort for some than for others.

8. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Okay, thank you everyone! I'll spend some more time improving my keyboard and guitar skills, and then I'll start with the singing :)