Confessions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by O.M. Hillside, Feb 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

If you don't mind getting put on some sort of watch list, might I suggest Squirrel and Hedgehog?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Have you watched it? Is it entertaining? I see it’s from N.K. I very much enjoyed Mongrels from the U.K., something that would never pass the import filters of our Media Machine.

3. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

I was going to say "Tuesday's Special: Mystery Meat." :)

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Strictly speaking its called the TV licence about £100 a year - it pays for the BBC which doesn't have advertising (with some shares going to the other channels). You used to be able to get a cheaper option for a black and white set but they stopped that some years back.

They've also just implemented a thing where for iplayer (that is the BBC on demand service - nothing to do with apple) you have to create an account with a uk address so they can check if you have a licence (the other channels ITV, Channel four, Channel 5 don't bother on their on demand services)

Also I'm not certain but a suspect in the coming months you may have to use a uk proxy server to get access.

Point of note the BBC doesn't broadcast in the BVI - the stations there are all private, so the on demand services are the only way for an american (or peurto rican) to access BBC programming (what you need there is for a British friend to let you use his address to create an account via proxy server)

5. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

But it was in the UK I learnt people share bottles without batting an eyelid. I remember thinking it was so odd because that's never done in Hong Kong because of it being unhygienic.

6. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    In Japan when you go out, it's usual to order several large bottles of beer (500ml or more) and share them. Not directly, but from little tiny six or eight ounce 8 (200-250ml) glasses. It's also bad manners to let your companions' glasses get empty, so you can end up quite intoxicated with no idea how much you really drank. Last company party, I ended up seated next to one of the receptionists, who was doing the full lady-manners thing and refreshing my glass after almost every sip. I skipped the afterparty. I think.

7. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I've never seen anyone get cut off. They use a "glass change" system, so to order a fresh drink, you have to finish your current one. Some places require the old glass when you order, some when the new drink actually arrives, but either way, the waitstaff do have some control over your pacing.

Some. One time they brought me a beer and told me it was last order all in the same moment. I said I'd have another beer. They said I'd have to give them my empty glass when the new beer arrived. I said no problem, and chugged it. See, it's a bet. They're betting that you can't put down $30 worth of food and booze in 70* minutes, you're betting that you can, at least at menu prices. I don't like to lose.

As for what happens at 70* minutes, the deal is a 70/90. Seventy minutes of ordering time, ninety minutes at the table, so you've got twenty minutes to finish whatever your final order was, then you're told it's time to go. Some places do have optional add-on time (ten bucks for the next half hour and so on), but I'm generally so full after about an hour that I've never used it.

*70/90 is the kushikatsu place. Tabehodai means "all you can eat," and nomihodai means all you can drink. Yakiniku and kushikatsu are often tabe/nomihodai places, but there are also izakaya, which are Japanese pubs that use the plan, and we once even went to an all-you-can-eat sushi joint. Japanese dinners, except for noodles, are almost never ordered all in one go. You order a bit of this, bit of that, finish it off, 'nother round of drinks, and bring us some of those other things while you're at it. Oh, also another mini-pizza, but garlic this time. I guess that's related to tapas, but I'm not sure.

8. The Dapper Hooligan

I've watched a couple. There aren't a lot of episodes that have been dubbed or subtitled, though. I found then entertaining, though probably more because I was having fun trying to decode what exactly the symbolism and propaganda behind it was, but it's basically ultraviolent kung fu teddy bears which is really interesting to watch regardless of the message behind it.

Carly Berg likes this.
  9. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Okay, I'm in. Kind of like that Michael Keaton movie where the Japanese company buys the auto plant and cultural hilarity ensues. Only the Japanese are Michael Keaton and I'm the Japanese... or something. Maybe not.

Cave Troll and Iain Aschendale like this.
  10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    "Go home drunk, your Homered." :p

Shenanigator and John-Wayne like this.
  11. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

When i'm bored and my brain is to fatigue to write or play GAmes, I like to refresh WF to see if there are any new posts. :p

12. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I'm a displaced Yank. I don't like sharing bottles. It is unhygienic.

Mind you, British people don't tend to drink out of bottles directly. At least not as freely as they do in the USA. If you were at a barbeque or picnic in the USA, you'd be given a bottle of some kind of drink or can of something. And that would be it. Here, people expect to get a glass as well. I have been given some truly horrified looks when I drink a fizzy drink or a beer directly out of a bottle or can. I've modified my habits over the years.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  13. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

That's because a lot of British pubs don't want the customers to have bottles in their hands when the fighting starts

14. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Drinking from a bottle signals a certain otherness in the pub environment. Best stick to herd manners in a pub, although the new beatnik style, the re-intro of dimpled glasses is deeply offensive to my generation, like a barmaid asking if I've collected my pension this morning, no offense @J.

Not quite understanding this idea of swig & pass the bottle. Who does that? Although we did use to drink the drip trays, and 'minesweeper,' of course, very detrimental to health.

15. The Dapper Hooligan

I do. Not with like beer, though, but if we had a bottle or flask of something stronger we'd just pass it around the campfire.

Shenanigator likes this.
  16. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Oh yeah, if it was 'camp fire' and a bottle of spirits. I thought it was some perceived tradition where everybody mixes and matches their bottles of beer.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  17. O.M. Hillside

O.M. Hillside Senior Member

I will drink warm beer. IDGAF. Fight me.

18. big soft moose

There's a cafe near work that does an all you can eat mega breakfast - 7.99 and no time limit (the normal breakfasts are 4.99) . They were seriously out of pocket the other day when we went up their en masse... one of our drivers put away 14 rashers of bacon, 6 sausages, 4 fried eggs, a pile of hash browns, 4 slices of black pudding and two bowls of beans .... I played it low key with 6 rashers of bacon, 4 fried kidneys, a 6 oz steak, and a plate of toast and neither of us were unusual that day

suffice to say that nobody much was eating lunch that day ... and i had a bowl of cereal for dinner

19. John-Wayne

I have some weird ass dreams you wouldn't believe, even if I told you.

7th Level hell shit here with a touch of the outter limits put in for good measure

Cave Troll and Shenanigator like this.
  20. Cave Troll

"Go on..."

Shenanigator likes this.
  21. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Nightmares or regular dreams? The worst is when I'm having a nightmare and one part of my brain is going "you're having a nightmare, wake up" but the other half of me won't wake up and the nightmare keeps playing. Ugh.

22. John-Wayne

Both.... nightmares and and regular dreams are about the same to me.

Well one time I had a dream that I was playing the NES with Freddy Krueger from Nightmare on Elm Street!

I also had a dream about waking up at 10 a.m. in the morning and bitching about wake up so late! And one time sitting at my table bitching about the fact I was in writing while watching YouTube!

Now those are so messed up dreams right there!!

I had a dream in second person, and a dream where I was a zombie also someone's schizophrenic delusion, but i was a nice one who tried to help him!

There's also: zombie Wranglers, zombies versus Bigfoot, redneck human trafficking, and that's just a few!

Shenanigator and Cave Troll like this.
  23. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Doesn't seem like much of a contest, honestly.

[​IMG]

24. John-Wayne

Not quite that big foot, the Bigfoot in my dream was a magnificent creature, 7 foot 4, pure muscle, dress and leather pauldrons and Welding a stone axe.

Shenanigator and Cave Troll like this.
  25. Cave Troll

Please tell me this was an LSD trip, cause that would hold up better under scrutiny. :p

Shenanigator and John-Wayne like this.