1. Lone Wolf13

Lone Wolf13 New Member

Too many plots!?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Lone Wolf13, Jul 5, 2010.

Hi all,
    I've been wanting to write myself a novel for quite a while, and as soon as I put my mind to it, I thought of dozens of ideas instantaneously - but I eventually whittled them down to several. The point is, Im not sure which one to use - anyone got some advice on how to choose?

(Just as a quick heads up, if you want to hear them, please send me a message)

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Write all of them. But it might be better to write separate novels/stories for each of the ideas. Combining all of them into one novel is hard to do and not advisable.

3. theSkaBoss

theSkaBoss New Member

Thirdwind's advice is fairly solid. You may find that each one can be done as several books in a series or in several individual books.

Beyond that, you may find that some of them could be broken down and simplified into a subplot for your character or for a side character or second main character.

4. Lone Wolf13

Lone Wolf13 New Member

What I meant is that I have lots of plot ideas for different genres and time periods - I have one, say, for victorian London, another for a far flung planet of the human empire. Although that is good advice, I dont think I'd be able to stay on top of writing three or four novels at a time - I have school every day, and I need to do chores aswell.

5. theSkaBoss

theSkaBoss New Member

Then write one at a time. :) Just pick one and write it. When you're done, just go on to the next one.

6. Lone Wolf13

Lone Wolf13 New Member

Ok, thanks for the advice ;)

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

First off, do you mean plots or storylines?

Assuming you mean storylines, choose the one you believe contains enough story to grow to a novel.

Any novel will contain multiple plots, but one will generally dominate (or there may be a group of plots with the same objective but different actors and motivations). Additional plots augment the central plot by adding obstacles and complications, competing objectives, and character development.

So wnat about all those oter storylines? Save them for other novels, or short stories for those that lack the depth to grow to a novel.

8. lynca

lynca New Member

Or pick the one that excites you the most, the storyline you constantly think about. And sure, post some of your favorite ideas.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There is no point to posting the ideas, unless you are suggesting them as writing prompts for others.

10. MitchWhittaker

MitchWhittaker New Member

Deep End or not?

I had this problem. I tried to detach myself and think about which one I'd like to read the most. This may work for you too.