1. Everett Campbell

Everett Campbell New Member

Conflict when the antagonist wants them to succeed?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Everett Campbell, Feb 25, 2019.

In my story I have a magical charm that needs to be taken to several locations before it'll unlock a vault, the antagonist can't get it to work because she's not alive so it doesn't recognise her as an 'owner' so she plants it on the protagonist and gives the protagonist a reason to go on this quest. I don't want the reader to know this at first and think it's like the protagonists destiny or some crap because they'll think something they truly desire in the vault.

At the end the antagonist will do a lot of bad things when she gets what she wants and most of the story is about the journey, but I'm worried about that coming out of nowhere because she won't be... Doing much throughout the story. She wants the protagonist to succeed. The only conflicts will be short term in regards to challenges along the way on this journey.

I think a story full of short term conflicts isn't exactly a bad idea but no overarching threat might feel like there's no tension for their quest because nothings really trying to stop them.
    I had the idea for a secondary antagonist who doesn't want them to open the vault but thinking about it if they knew it was a bad idea they'd tell the protagonist why... And that'd spoil the ending? Like even if the protagonist doesn't believe them the reader will be like 'oh so this is all for nothing and the protagonist is stupid'.

2. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

What does the protagonist know about the antagonist? Why do they accept the quest from them? Will they happen to learn more about the antagonist as they travel? Will the antagonist place conditions on the quest (like "don't tell anyone I hgave you this quest") that make the protagonist suspicious? Does this create internal conflict in the protagonist ("Is this quest really a good idea?") ? Does it cause the protagonist to take steps to cover his butt in case the antagonist is lying to them? Does the antagonist notice these just-in-case steps and object to them?

Everett Campbell likes this.
  3. Everett Campbell

1. He knows of her (she's sort of a minor celebrity) but doesn't know her personally 2. He is a little naive and takes everything she says at face value, also there's an item in the vault that'd change his life forever (it'd change his body, and he has an incurable condition) so is a little desperate. 3. Most likely. She is pretty mysterious so I'm guessing he (and his friends) would be pretty curious. 4. I think the only conditions would be 'do it correctly' as if someone else knew about the quest they might help him and that's a bonus.

Her excuse for why she can't do it is 'I'm very busy' because well she kinda is.

The protagonist has his sister and a new friend with him to complete this quest, I think they'd be a bit more suspicious of her than the protagonist but since the item to help the protagonist is confirmed to be in the vault they'd want to do it too.

4. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

My questions were rhetorical. I offered them as sources of both conflict and as ways to foreshadow the twist at the end so it doesn't come from nowhere.

5. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Hello Everett and welcome! I'll just brainstorm some very general ideas, since I haven't read your book and so I don't have a clear perspective upon your characters or their motivations.

Your story sounds interesting and I like the concept of the protagonist being deceived to fulfil the desire of the antagonist, unknowingly. This alone (especially when it gets revealed) can create great tension in your story as a peak.

If I understood correctly, the antagonist interacts with the protagonist, but not so regularly. Right? I think that it will work best if you made the antagonist mysterious and threw in some conflicting hints when it comes to her trustworthiness, but don't overdo it. This will get the reader guessing, but don't focus too much on this because if you do, the reader might grasp early on that something is clearly wrong with her, since you will be stressing that part too much. Manipulate (in a good sense) the reader into focusing on what you want. Throw some hints and then distract the reader with what's happening in the plot for example. If she is a worthy antagonist, then she might as well be a good pretender.

Upon this, I'd suggest you thought about the protagonist's desire, hidden need and his demons. Not every conflict is external. Yeah, sure put some obstacles in their way, but the main tragedy in every good story is happening within one's self. Which path to choose? The easy or the hard one? What do you trust? Your intuition or your logic? It all boils down to choices and their consequences. Don't leave your antagonist behind as well. Make her worthy of a deceiver. Everyone has demons. Even the demons. Pssss! What did I say again?! :p

This sounds like a good idea as well. Maybe your secondary antagonist isn't going against your protagonist for a virtuous mission either. Maybe he is the antagonist's antagonist, (this could really work, because you can cover up a lot of issues this way) or maybe he has a completely different reason for being against the protagonist. Why does the protagonist wish to open that vault? What is his false belief? What if his secondary antagonist believes something similar and just wants to get there first?

I hope I understood your problem and responded on point.

6. Everett Campbell

Ooh, you provided a lot of interesting ideas here and points that I should think off.

The idea of a secondary antagonist who is trying to one up the antagonist would be a great idea because people might think less of the true antagonists actions and pass them off once they meet this one, and depending on their motivations they might not even care to tell the protagonist the truth.

I think I actually have an idea for a secondary antagonist already. Not sure why never thought of that possibility before...

Malisky likes this.
  7. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Well, I'll be damned! We understand each other! This is rare! :D

Very glad to have provided you with something helpful mate.

Everett Campbell likes this.
  8. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

Conflict can be internal.
    Maybe that potion was like a tester (cured his incurable illness temporarily) if he wants the second dose he needs to do her this favour. But she wont tell him why she wants him to take this charm on a cruise. Maybe he knows she's not an honourable person, but maybe neither is he, maybe he's a selfish person (although I don't think wanting to live is selfish). Good conflict. Would you do something, potentially bad, to save your own life?
    This could add in a time frame, a "ticking time bomb" which also ensures he MUST return the charm to her to get the rest of his life saving medicine. But maybe the taster she gives him lasts 48 hours (example) then it will run out and maybe the side affect is it will shorten his life expectancy. Otherwise he could take his time roaming these countries. That'll add some tension.

Either way build the conflict. Give things to the reader. Example: she has lied to him when he trusted her and the last time someone lied to him didn't in a good way. Something so the readers came see the explosion that is ahead.

Maybe give him something personal. He wants to believe she has changed or is doing something good for the planet so he's also conflicted on her. He wants to believe the best in her, but can't. Maybe she is a relation. Maybe she's his birth Mother who has repeatedly lied and let him down in his life.

Just brain storm. But conflict comes from a character's goal.