Tags:
  1. 33percent

33percent Active Member

Conflicted with using incest or not..

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by 33percent, Oct 16, 2017.

I didn't plan on this but as I wrote more into the story I thought more on the idea of it actually happening as adding more to f**k with the MC. I figured as a writer, I want to take the gloves off than going with the typical mainstream. To sum it up, the MC was in love a girl in his past life, having an obsession with her and accepting reality she will never be part of his life.

Fast forward to the future, he ends up meeting another woman, not only she looks similar but acts as she has the same personality as the woman he previously was in love with. She is more of a sidekick for the MC throughout the whole plot and is indeed the alpha female type. Of course, she is out of his league sort of speak. They eventually fall for each other, etc like any normal story, even going so far making love to each other. What they both don't know, eventually find out after it's too late. The MC made love to a woman who is actually his brother's daughter.

I figure this would be the breaking point for the Main Character of questioning his morality and snaps. He loses everything, including his family but his brother is the antagonist in the story. Now he feels as if this is his fate and feeling condemned for his choices. He can't find a woman who he actually loves and be with just because of this new discovery of actually committing incest. I hate to use GoT incest for an example. (Spoiler alert) I accepted more of this plot twist after watching Game of Thrones, with Jon and Daenerys being his aunt.

Really considering that she and MC pretend what they did together on multiple occasions didn't happen, they act like "friends" but truly are in love with each other. The worst part, she feels guilty for it as well and hiding the fact, she even had a child with him. She felt if he found out, he would lose it. Eventually, they get to the point they stop caring what our culture sees as wrong, f***ed up and continue being in love with each other.

I use this plot twist, as a deeper wedge between the brothers as adding more fuel to the fire wanting to kill each other. The MC brother hates him, even more, knowing the fact he is having sexual relations with his own daughter. His older brother didn't even know it was his daughter even before their relation either. The question will be how will the reader react to the MC decision continuing incest? or even the overall character judgment of the MC.

2. The Broken Soul Project

The Broken Soul Project Active Member

Hmm... I mean I would consider it a personally reasonable response. I point you this article. http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/08/08/couple-together-for-7-years-find-out-shocking-and-creepy-bombshell-about-their.html.
    Realistically you have this relationship down pat. It would be conflicting.
    As for how the reader would react.... oh boy. I mean my reaction to the main character is why, but I suppose that's the point. Important question. Is the daughter the same woman he loved in a past life?

3. 33percent

33percent Active Member

That is a small world, which I want to bring to both characters and question is what now? how would it change them mentally? do they continue loving each other, ignoring the fact they're related? As for the daughter is the same woman in his past life, well almost. The woman who the MC was in love with in his past life, was the sister of the woman who was in love with his older brother, having daughters together. That is why the MC fell in love with his brother's daughter because she had a similar personality and looks as the woman who he was in love with in his past life.

4. Lankle

Lankle Member

My take on this, just write the story and don't worry about being judged. You will drive yourself mad, second guessing what people can and can't handle.

5. Seren

Seren Writeaholic

I think it sounds really interesting. To add to the examples (in case this will be of help) something similar happened in an episode of Lewis. (I'm using this show for examples left, right, and centre at the moment!)

It happens between the episode's murderers, twins who were adopted at birth by two different families, went to the same school together, and fell in love, never knowing that they were related until the woman couldn't get pregnant (I think) and had tests to find out why...

The episode is Series 4, "Falling Darkness".