1. Angel Toledo

Angel Toledo New Member

Help me find this book on writing

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Angel Toledo, Dec 3, 2012.

Many years ago I had a small collection of "how to write" books before my wife had a garage sale and sold 'em all. That's fine. I could do without most of them. However, I remember one book had very good examples of how to build rounded characters. Problem is...I'm racking my brain trying to remember the name of the book and I just can't do it. Here are some details I remember and maybe someone can help me out.

1. The publishing date is most likely in the 1980's or the early '90's as this was the time I began to be interested in writing and the time I bought all the "how to" books.

2. In one chapter the author talks about how people carelessly toss about the phrase "suddenly..." such as "Suddenly, he froze." He then goes on to give two examples of a story describing a college football player on the field. Example one talks a little about the player and how nervous he is because there is a scout in the stands and "Suddenly, he froze." Example two gives much more background on the player, the relationship with his family, his brothers and sister, what church he attends, his aspirations since childhood, etc. We really learn a lot about this young man and actually start feeling nervous along with him as he crouches in the huddle while the scout looks on. The quarterback calls the play, the ball is snapped, and "Suddenly, he froze." It might not have been exactly like this, but the idea is the same.

3. The entire book might have been just about building characters. I remember having a book solely on this topic. Perhaps that was it.

That's about all I seem to remember. If anyone has any idea what this book may be, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You

2. Angel Toledo

Angel Toledo New Member

Found It! It's "Fiction is Folks" by Robert Newton Peck.

3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Glad you found it, Angel!