1. Blaidd Drwg

Blaidd Drwg New Member

When do I introduce a pseudonym?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Blaidd Drwg, Jul 11, 2009.

I'm sure this question has been answered before, but I did a little searching and couldn't find what I needed.

At what point in the process do I mention that I'd like the book published under a pseudonym?

(Harlequin publishes men, right...?)

2. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Yes, Harlequin publishes men, so long as the work meets the guidelines for whatever line you submitted for. (The individual lines have individual processes. If you send your work to the wrong line, they will just reject it -- not send it to the right imprint.)

Focus first on getting the manuscripts polished and accepted. It's a lengthy process from acceptance to an actual book in your hands. You'll have plenty of time and they won't publish a bodice ripper under the name of John T. Macho.

Eharlequin.com probably has more answers than you have questions.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you do so from the very first...

you must write your query letter over your legal name, but on the ms, you would put the nom de plume in the by line and your legal name in the contact info on the cover/first page...

4. Anthony Martin

Anthony Martin Active Member

Bump here, since I didn't want to open a new thread and this seemed the most appropriate place for my question.

I write my short stories and essays under a pseudonym. A few have been published under that pseudonym. Lately, I have opted to include the line "'Anthony Martin' is a pseudonym." at the end of my author bio when submitting to literary magazines, the idea being that, if published, readers who peek my bio will know that I write under a pen name.

Are there best practices with regards to pseudonyms? Advantages and disadvantages to using one, especially in the context described above?

I feel like there are some esoteric, tacit rules about pseudonyms out there that I'd hate to overlook.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there are really no 'rules' tacit or otherwise... people have varying reasons for using one... some well known authors have used several pen names...

6. Krishan

Krishan Active Member

There are no rules in particular. It is definitely worth being clear about your desire to use a pseudonym early on in the publishing process though. For me at least changing the way a writer's name is printed when the process is already in motion is a nightmare.