1. JohnnyElsewhere

JohnnyElsewhere New Member

Which is better?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by JohnnyElsewhere, Feb 21, 2014.

Currently, my story has a bully that can't stand the main character.

The main character is taking lessons regarding visual impairment from a female character, who recently broke up with said bully. Outraged and thinking the main character was the catalyst for the break up, the bully sets his sights on the main character.

Which would have more impact:

Bully executes a plan to humiliate the main character, and when the female lead comes to his 'rescue,' the main character blames her for being in on it, creating tension.

OR:

When they are out on a lesson (main and female lead), the bully confronts him with a 'posse,' leading into a brawl, in which case the main character's best friend (who he thought abandoned him due to his disability) comes in and saves the day.

I'm currently at a standstill between the two and need to make an immediate decision. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated! Or maybe both would work?

Thanks, guys!

2. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I prefer the first idea. It has more scope, and you could definitely have some great tension. For example, it creates tension, then a couple more 'suspicious things' happen, and suddenly the male main character explodes in rage. They break up, and a few days later the girl is back with the bully. It could definitely be an interesting relationship-type story. If this is what you're going for, or don't mind going down that route, I reckon I'd keep reading. :)

3. JohnnyElsewhere

JohnnyElsewhere New Member

Thank you for the input!

I've been leaning on that idea for quite some time now, and I think it could add to the dynamic of the relationship part of the story (platonic!).

However, I don't want the story to be derailed too much from the initial premise-- which is coping with vision loss. I guess the mental frustration of losing friends because f something like that could be included. Hell, I've dealt with the same thing, so why not, right?

Seriously, thanks a bunch!

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Both would work. Take the one that, in your envisioning, generates more conflict and complications.

5. feathersinflight

feathersinflight Member

I'm assuming from what you said of the plot that the girl has more weight in the story than the friend...then choose the first option because it focuses on the girl.

Of course, I could be wrong about my assumptions. In that case, just figure out who you want to flesh out more, the girl or the friend, and go from there.