1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Contact form not working when under a ban?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by OurJud, Apr 12, 2017.

In that my recent temporary ban wasn't lifted until a day after it should have been, I was trying to use the forum's contact page to ask why this was.

Firstly, the only way I was able to sign out (something I had to do before I could do anything on the site) was by clearing the cookies relating to writing forums.org, but even then the contact form proved useless. It asks for my name (with no indication as to if this means my forum username), my email, and finally the message, but when I submitted (under my forum username) I got an error saying "This name is being used by other members." What that means I have no idea.

So I tried a different name and got the same message.

Finally I typed a long line of random characters and was told again, "This name is being used by other members."

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm not exactly sure what time zone the forum uses as its default, but when I enacted the time-out I simply skipped down to the same day of the following week using the calendar the forum provides for this. Handling such things manually would mean too easily forgetting to flip the switch back. Whatever clock the forum uses is what it used to flip the time-out off. I'm guessing, given that you are some hours ahead of the U.S. mainland, that an American time zone is in use. Makes sense given that our nexus is in the American Central Time Zone.

They came through, actually, tho the error messages you mention are important to note for Daniel. By the time I read them you were already signed on to the forum. Seemed a little pointless at that juncture to respond to what was already remedied.

3. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Do you mean signed in on the forum or that my ban had expired by this point?

The ban didn't automatically sign me out as I suspected, and as I say I was only able to do so by clearing my cookies.

Either way I think the system needs some tweaking.